Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, June 26, 2010

2nd Biggest Day In Salisbury News History


Salisbury News experienced a monstrous day yesterday. Friday's usually drop off quite a bit in the evening but Sam Vincent must have known a LOT of people because our visits soared.

We take no real pleasure in such days like yesterday other than knowing when people want to know what's really going on they rely on Salisbury News to provide such information.

That being said, yesterday was an extremely frustrating day but it was also a day of growth. No, not in numbers but in learning to be more patient and understanding when tragedies such as Mr. Vincent's accident.

When this accident happened, I received an immediate phone call. I then started receiving photos like there was no tomorrow. The stories varied from one call to the other. I received 161 text messages yesterday on this matter and while I did reply via text message as to what happened, we chose to stop all comments, removed the Survey Question Post and when we were confident the Vincent Family had been made aware of Sam's unfortunate death, we started allowing comments to resume.

So we can clear the air on this matter, let me explain what REALLY happened yesterday, (to a point).

Sam was traveling 55 mph west bound on Rt. 50. A vehicle crossed onto Rt. 50 striking the right rear end of Sam's vehicle. Sam's vehicle went into a spin and the pressure from the hit and weight dug into the pavement and his vehicle started flipping over, (probably 5 times) before coming to a stop. That's all I have to say about that. The driver of the other vehicle had no injuries.

I'm not sure why this particular tragedy has hit home so deeply for me personally but I'd have to say it has reminded me that we just never know when our time is up. I knew Sam more as an associate, not a friend. EVERY single experience I have had with Sam over the past 7 years has been respectful. What I enjoyed the most was that smirk/smile Sam would give me, (no words necessary) whenever someone would say something about an article on Salisbury News and he was around.

There was a part of Sam that seemed to want to jump out and start cracking up laughing but he had complete control of those emotions. I had always heard wonderful things about his Bride Jill. Jill, if you are reading this article, Sam was a wonderful man to those of us on the outside. We are so truly sorry for your unexpected loss. Again, as an outsider, allow me to say this. Of the hundreds of messages I have received in the last 24 hours, if you hadn't realized the Family you have in the Law Enforcement community, you do now. You will never be alone. Sam was a BROTHER to so many.

I'll close with this. There's something to be said about a person who joins special groups like the States Attorneys Office, Law Enforcement, Firefighters and or the Military. There's a special bond many people do not know of. There's a Family/Brotherhood outside your own and one thing I have witnessed over the many years I have been on this earth, that outside Family NEVER goes away, unless you want them to.

If there's ANY comfort I personally hold out of this tragic event it's knowing Jill Vincent will not be alone the rest of her life. She will be asked to join others at Christmas, Thanksgiving, cook outs weddings and so forth. I truly envy that Brotherhood/Family, as we all should, it's earned.

Our numbers yesterday clearly showed Sam Vincent was loved by many and for what it's worth, I hope it means something to the Vincent Family.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Joe. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes there are just no words...

Anonymous said...

Life is gone in an instant. Live for today we might not be here tomorrow. Learn to be patient. Speak kind words.

Tidewaterbound said...

This is a devastating loss to our community. I had met Sam years ago via his brother Carl when we worked together at 2nd National (there are a lot of former 2nd Nationals out there). They graduated two years ahead of me from WiHi with my sister. The Vincents were people you never forgot who would always bring you a smile.

By definition, the Vincent family are simply "good people." It pains me that this tragedy didn't need to happen.

Deaths such as these are life's rude reminder. For those mad drivers out there -- SLOW DOWN, pay attention, next time it could be you.

Praying for strength and solace to the Vincent family during this terrible time.

Unknown said...

Jill is my co-worker and is one of the most beloved women I know. My deepest sympathy goes out to her right now. We in the Piedmont Airlines family will not let her be forgotten or alone as well. Sam was a wonderful human being who will be sorely missed. Such a tragedy. Continue your prayers for her and the rest of the family.

Anonymous said...

Wish it were you killed instead of a good man like Sam.

Anonymous said...

5:59
What a scum bag idiot you are to wish anyone get killed after yesterday, especially.Go run your head in a stump,your a disgraceful,punk.Who is this low life,Joe?

Anonymous said...

You know something-----I really wish people would show a bit more respect for their fellow man on this blog. Dorogatory comments are totally unnecessary.
This Community could ALL Learn a Lesson from the way Sam Vincent lived! No matter how he disapproved of others words or actions----you never heard him condem them in any way!!!!!
Joe thank you for the Good you do, your site has given nothing but respect, as should be, to Sam. EW

Anonymous said...

There are some sick people out there to wish any one Dead! This is a time for grieving not being deranged! What goes around comes around. Why can't we all just get along? Life is too short, this is a prime example!

Ron Brawl said...

A source told me today that the driver at fault was driving on a revoked license with no insurance. I cannot get secondary confirmation, so take it for what it is worth.

smitty240 said...

Laura, I remember Jill from my days in SBY. I'm currently in ROA, but if there is anything I can do to help from here, please let me know. Joe knows how to reach me.

Anonymous said...

In life we all have learned harsh lessons. Life is an unforgiving teacher at times. As a twenty year police officer that had the pleasure of having one of the best teams in the state prosecute my cases. I can not tell you how heart broken I have been over the turmoil at the State's Attorney's Office the last couple of years.

As I stated earlier "Team" Ruark and Vincent were an awesome duo. If they both worked the case the defendant was to become an inmate. It was that simple.

As in life many times opposites attrack. They were to very different men. The combination made for a solid office that had few flaws in the armor of justice.

As I sat and watched two friends part ways and at times appear vindictive. One knew what the results would be.

If Sam Vincent felt a need to run there is something very wrong in house. The people of this county should recognize the fact a life long friend and comrade chose to pursue the office. Only he and Davis know why.

I am just a little more than just concerned by all of this. The Office of the State'e Attorney is one of the most important offices in the county. They pursue truth and justice.

Will this tragedy bring th old Davis back i dont know. I sure hope so. I can not imagine the pain Davis is feeling at this moment. This life long friend is gone and there were many fences to mend. I know Davis is a spiritual man first hand. I hope he looks to his heart and faith to make all things right. We all falter in life and our God is a forgiving God. As we should be.

The sad lesson here is that we dont allow glitter and pride come between friends. A true friend is so hard to come by in a world so caught up in self.

I know when I lay my head tonight I will have sorrow for the Vincent family and pray for the peace in such trying times. I will pray for Davis as well. I know his heart is heavy on so many levels at this time. I am in no way saying either did wrong. It just appears something was a wry.

I hope that Davis continues to strive to get the office he was elected to run in order. Seek the strongest staff for the right reasons. Sometimes in life one does not know what they have until it is gone.

God Bless us all.


The Wicomican

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, I heard a rumor that you were going to get your ass kicked by a bunch of cops if you tried to show up with a camera to Sam's funeral. Is that true?

Anonymous said...

151 if joe does do that, I will kick his fat ass

J.Albero said...

Look at these anonymous tough guys, wow, scary, aren't they.

First of all, I would NEVER show up at his funeral with a camera. That is, unless the Family wanted it documented.

Now, if it was JT's funeral, JR's, CJ's TM's, that's a whole different story. Come on tough guys, man up and use your real names. OR ARE YOU SCARED??????