Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Report Of Overturned Vessel Results In Missing Persons Investigation


Location: Delaware Bay in the area of Port Mahon, Kent County, Delaware

Date of Occurrence: Saturday, April 24, 2010, reported at approximately 4:45 p.m.

Missing Persons:
David Whitehair, 40, of Felton, Delaware
David Whitehair, Jr., 17, of Felton, Delaware

Resume: In the mid afternoon hours of today’s date, a 16 – 18 foot vessel was spotted overturned in the Delaware Bay in the area of Port Mahon.

U.S. Coast Guard personnel, Little Creek Fire Company, the DSP Dive Team and DNREC Fish and Wildlife responded to the area. Upon locating the boat, they found it void of any occupants. A search and rescue operation ensued and no one was located. This operation has been shut down this evening and will resume during daylight hours tomorrow.

This investigation revealed the boat was recently purchased by David Whitehair of Felton. Allegedly, Mr. Whitehair and his 17-year-old son were supposed to go on a chartered fishing trip yesterday; however, the trip was cancelled due to poor weather conditions. Mr. Whitehair decided to go anyway on his own boat and he took his son. He was last seen yesterday at 5:00 p.m. This information was not learned until today when investigators went to his home looking for him.

At this point, the Delaware State Police is handling this as a missing persons investigation.

Should anyone spot Mr. Whitehair or his son, they are asked to contact DSP Troop 3 at 302-697-4455 or 911.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. Praying for their safe return. I can't understand why people take chances. It is never worth the risk. And I can't understand why people would put their children in harm's way just for a good time either. I hope they are found ok.

Brett Healy said...

I went to school with David Whitehair Jr and he always brightened up my day. Such a nice kid with a good spirit. It's such a disappointment that they can't find him. Thought and prayers go out to his family.

Anonymous said...

we hope they are safe and that they will come home,i go to school with him i love you david we all miss you love chelsea pease be safe!!! <33

Anonymous said...

Lil Dave was like a little brother to me. I love the kid to death. I hope they are both ok. Chelsea and Lauren are amazing people to be put through all this. I think they've been put through enough. My reguards to the family, I love you guys! ~liv~

Anonymous said...

i knew david jr. he always made me feel wanted . love you dave never told you that . dave sr rip

Sydney said...

I went to school with David Whitehair Jr. We always had fun in 7th period and now it is just wierd to go in there knowing that he is not there to make me laugh anymore. It upsets me to know that they have not found him yet but they found David Sr. R.I.P David Whitehair Sr. To the Whitehair family, i will pray for you and i will never forget. I will be there to lend a hand to you. Even though i do not know the family, i love you and i will pray for you always and forever. I just hope they find David Jr. soon because i am getting sick knowing that one of my best friends is missing. This would be my second year in a row losing one of my best friends and it is not easy at all. Going through life like everything is fine and nothing happened is not as easy as it looks. There is not a minute that i dont think about David and his family. I love you guys and i will pray for you and i will be there for you if you need me. ~syd~