Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Important Recall Information From Food Lion


Dear Valued Customer,

As an MVP card holder and as one of our customers who has indicated a desire for e-mail messages from us, we are sending you this alert regarding a ground beef recall by one of our suppliers.

Fairbank Farms notified Food Lion LLC today that our company received a portion of fresh ground beef products that are part of Fairbank Farms' national product recall. The recall is isolated to 93/7 ground beef purchased at Food Lion stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. In an abundance of caution, any customer who purchased 93/7 ground beef at Food Lion with the sell by date of Sept. 21 through Oct. 8 should return the meat to the store for a full refund. The company is removing any affected product from store shelves immediately.

Given their history with ground beef problems, the last sentence in the big paragraph is a pretty funny mistake (at least I hope it's a mistake).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would think in this country that we'd be able to purchase SAFE food.
That's why we grow our own garden for produce during the summer and freeze and can as much as we can.
As far as meats, I'm ready to find a good butcher and forget buying meats in the grocery store.
I have hamburger in my freezer that was purchased during this time period BUT I remove my meats from the store packaging and use my foodsaver vacuum pack them before freezing.
Wonder if they're still going to give me a refund. I mark every package with date, where I bought it and what price I paid per pound. I also mark what burger it is whether it's 93/7, 90/10, etc. I do have my receipt showing I bought hamburger and how much but we'll see!

Anonymous said...

no maryland stores were affected by this. the correct packaging would be helpful but with a reciept i dont see why it would be a problem considering the concern for your health. from:a food employee

Anonymous said...

Hey they might have some still on their shelves. I bought some penrose eggs and when i got home i saw that they expired may 1 2004, When i called Penrose to say that i would like some coupons they said what do you mean you bought them last week we have not made them in over two years

Tippedwing said...

FYI....if you cook your ground beef to proper internal temp of 145-160, you will kill any Ecoli bacteria that "may" exist...steaks are not exposed to Ecoli internally, so if you like your steak rare on the inside, you are safe...