Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Thank You Sheriff Lewis

Photo Courtesy of Wayne Barrall.

Joe,

Sometimes, I don’t even know why I write or why I get involved on things that I may regret later on, but that is life for me. I always express my mind the way I think for the moment. That causes me troubles sometimes, but at the end, I am happy because I used one of the greatest gifts this great country founders gave us: the freedom of speech.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you and your readers about my daughter who is four years old. Her name is Emily and she loves books. If someone comes and reads her a story that one becomes her best friend. My wife and I try to read her as many stories as we can, but she always wants more.

This past Saturday my wife took Emily to the Wicomico Library for a reading presentation where Sheriff Lewis was one of the readers. My daughter was grumpy at the Sheriff when he greeted her (that is her personality when she first meets strangers). He called her “princess” but she just gave him a dirty look.. Yet, when she came home, she told me that she had a new best friend and he was policeman. she said “the police read me a story”. I asked my wife and she told me about their experience with the Sheriff. I wish all law enforcement officers would take time to read to children just like Sheriff Lewis did this weekend. Many people from all social background would have a different opinion about them. I respect the police no matter what jurisdiction they serve, but I respect them more when they spend time with our kids.

Thanks Sheriff Lewis for doing a great Job. On behalf of my daughter I say MUCHAS GRACIAS, keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Justiniano León, Jr.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Sheriff Lewis. This is a great way to build bridges for the future.

Anonymous said...

He truly is a wonderful man!

Tim Chaney said...

Mike's just that kind of guy, that's why I voted for him. I made a good choice too! He did the same at our neighborhood block party, he spent a lot of time with kids.

The kids also liked the command vehicle. SPD sent some officers and McGruff the Crime Dog. Thanks to all.

With all Mike is involved with, he still takes the time to do things like that and it's NOT an election year photo op. He IS THE MAN!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the Jaycees for hosting this event for the second year in a row.

Thanks Sheriff Lewis for always supporting Jaycee projects...you rock!

Anonymous said...

He is a complete roll model all around. Me, being a police officer, have looked up to Sgt, ops, Sheriff Lewis, since I attended his first interdiction seminar. Not only is he one of the nicest guys, but he is honestly one of the most intelligent men I know. If you dont know him, you should get to know him.

WHOS YOUR DADDY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"WHOS YOUR DADDY!!!!!"

I don't know, ask Sheriff Lewis though and I'd bet he could tell you.

Anonymous said...

Mike is someone I am very proud to know and support. He is a man who expects the best from himself then his team to follow.
Keep it up Mike we love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sheriff lewis is a great guy !!!


Mike Carey for King of Willards.

Anonymous said...

Where is Webster?

Anonymous said...

It is nice to see positive role model doing something like this for the children in our community.

It is just like Sheriff Lewis to be doing something like this.

Reconciled1 said...

Mike has been a family friend for as long as I can remember. What you see is what you get. The whole family is that way. From his parent to his brothers and sisters and their children. True to their beliefs and their friendliness. Through and through. He has dedicated his life to being someone that can be looked up to. Whether you meet him at the gym, church, out with his family or out on the street, he is the same. He shows everyone the same respect. Its a honor to call him a friend.

Anonymous said...

Lead by example!

Anonymous said...

What a great picture--you can fell his patriotism and dedication to this country and county. Have to say that Wayne is a great photographer.

Dave C said...

I heard that Webster is offering free rides around town in his unmarked cruiser for all kids under 12! He wants to give back to the community by sharing the tax payers' gas money...

Way to go Mike - a true legend forever embedded in Salisbury's history!

Anonymous said...

It's election year and Webster knows he may be first to go. If his contract is so it may make that hard, create a position above Webster and make him work for a living. He'd be crying uncle then.