Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Md. Regulators Ban Utility Shutoffs For Now

BALTIMORE (AP) - Utilities in Maryland have been barred from shutting off power to customers until regulators can figure out how to help struggling customers pay their bills.

The Maryland Public Service Commission ordered utilities on Wednesday to delay shutting off gas or electricity service at least until a hearing on April 7.

The commission has said that nearly 84,000 Baltimore Gas & Electric customers and nearly 43,000 Pepco customers face potential service terminations starting April 1. That's when restrictions meant to protect customers during cold weather months are no longer in effect.

The commission's order also creates a work group that will explore ways for customers to pay their delinquent bills "in a fair and realistic manner." The work group will present its findings at the April hearing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO, all of us who do pay our bills should just stop and say we can't afford them . . . Please!

I thought Obama was going to take care of everyone's bills, anyway.

Anonymous said...

If you were so unfortunate as to lose your job, you'd want the relief too. Nothing's been said about raising the rates on the rest of us.

I'd rather have people in their homes hanging on than on the street hanging out and getting desperate to come into my home.

We can work to get through this difficult time like Joe did with the Salvation Army, or we can all become I-Me-Me-Mine mental cases. Nothing wrong with protecting and preparing, but let's not go out of our way to make other people's suffering even greater.

Anonymous said...

Shore Up and social services will be packed with these people who did not pay their bill in April. What they don't know is, they need proof that they at least tried to make some payments. they can't just go in and say, I have not paid my bill for 7 months because I knew it would not be shut off.

Anonymous said...

That's why the people wont pay
their bills , they want OBAMA to pay their way. Stock up on your ammo.

Anonymous said...

Getting desperate to come into my home??? I have some +P hollow points to give you while you 'visit.'

If I lost my job, I would make arrangements with the company myself, not expect the government to do it for me, or guarantee me a deal.

We have a society that expects to be taken care of, and it is only getting worse. Those of us who take care of ourselves are going to be in the minority very soon.

Anonymous said...

the easiest way to aid customers with their bill paying is to LOWER THE COST.
our electric bill for february was nearly $650.00. OUTRAGEOUS!!!!! don't blame it on the cold and the gas prices.