Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Responding To Your Message

Dear Mr. Miller:

Thank you for contacting me about disparities in state taxes on cable and satellite television services. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

I understand your concern that states should not tax different television signal types at different rates. As you may know, the State Video Tax Fairness Act of 2007 (H. R. 3679) would prohibit this practice. This legislation is currently pending in the House of Representatives and not in the Senate. I will be looking closely at any similar legislation introduced in the Senate to make sure that it promotes consumer choice, affordable rates, and technological innovation.

Thanks again for getting in touch with me. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in the future.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator

P.S. If I can be of further assistance in the future,
please visit my website at http://mikulski.senate.gov
or call my Washington D.C. office at 202-224-4654

UPDATE:

Mr. Miller's Response to this letter.

"And please forward this message to Barbara personally,

FOR GOD'S SAKE, NO MORE TAXES, AND, NO TAX INCREASES!!

AND ONE LAST THING, FREE UP ALL OIL DRILLING. . . AND I DON'T CARE IF IT IS IN MY OWN BACK YARD. . . WE NEED IT ALL!!!"

5 comments:

Daddio said...

The only thing that this type of legislation will accomplish is an increase in taxes for satellite customers.

It will not promote affordable rates as stipulated by our senior senator.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Miller:

Democrats are against states' rights to do, including tax, as they please. Which is more important, state's rights or the tax differential? And it won't reduce the tax, pal. Are you a Republican or Democrat? Do you think that there should be a federal law against everything you don't like?

Let's hope we have a Republican President to veto this if it passes the Democrat Congress. Obama certainly would not.

Anonymous said...

Dear Babs:

I don't like [insert gripe here].
Please pass a law to stop it and I'll vote to reelect you.

[insert name here]

Anonymous said...

Mr. Miller:

How about we get Mikulski to do a law to make the tax cap illegal, too?

Anonymous said...

Re: 11:22 Posting

In case you weren't aware, it was a revenue cap and not a tax cap.

And one more thing, it passed by a vote of 72% By The People, and not a Senator.