Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Email from Senator Barbara Mikulski

Do you remember when I asked all of you to write your Senators and Congressmen about the Bills that were in the House and Senate that would allow huge media consolidation? Well, I don't know how many of you wrote your representatives, and I just wanted to show you that I put my money where my mouth is and here is my return letter from Senator Mikulski. Bitching on a website may make you feel better, but you gotta follow up the bitching with a real letter to the person who can make a diff.

Dear Mrs. Burke:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to media consolidation. It's good to hear from you.

I share your concerns about media consolidation and changes to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules that would allow for greater consolidation of media ownership. I want to make sure that competition, localism and diversity of media ownership is preserved. I also want to make sure that the free exchange of ideas, on which our nation is based, continues unabated.

You will be happy to hear that the Senate recently approved a resolution (S. J. Res. 28) which would reverse recent changes the FCC implemented to media ownership rules. This resolution must now be approved by the House of Representatives. You can be sure that I will continue to watch this process very closely.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator

P.S. If I can be of further assistance in the future,
please visit my website at http://mikulski.senate.gov
or call my Washington D.C. office at 202-224-4654

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the scam that's going on at PAC 14, with the City of Salisbury and Wicomico County changing it behind the scenes. They didn't even tell the PAC 14 board of directors, let alone the general public until it was almost a done deal but leaked out. Louise Smith, Barrie Tilghman and Rick Pollitt should tell us what they have been doing.

Anonymous said...

Good work here you guys to get beyond the local political subterfuge. This is a great Senator, and cool lady. Compare this writen response to what Louise Smith does for you locally.

Anonymous said...

12:25--

It's Louweasel Smith now.

Anonymous said...

12:25 p.m. -- amen. Debbie Campbell and Terry Cohen answer emails professionally, too. The others either don't answer or are accusatory.

Guess if this is gone to the House of Reps, next step is to write them.

Wymzie said...

And while your writing give them a piece of your mind about FISA too!

Anonymous said...

Ole Babs will get my vote EVERY time...and I'm not a dem....