Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Blog Or Politics

I have been asked countless times, "Why don't you get into politics, Joe?"

Every so often I sit back and think about it and I know why, I just haven't taken the time to express my reasoning to all of you.

The Mayor of Salisbury makes a whopping $25,000.00 a year. City Council Members make around $10,000.00 a year. County Council Members make around $20,000.00 a year, probably less. A Senator makes less than $100,000.00 a year and a Congressman makes a little more than that.

Let's look at the Andy Harris Race for an example. Andy Harris will spend somewhere around $2,000,000.00 just to become a Congressman. It would take 20 years to get a return on your money. I know Pipkin claims he spent around $1,000,000.00 of his own money on his own Campaign. Make you wonder how he's going to get that back, EH? It takes a guy like Andy you know you can trust. He wasn't putting his own money into the Campaign, (that I know of) so there's no worry about a return on his investment, If'n you know what I mean?

Nevertheless, even when you get into smaller local politics you have unbelievable expenses, Telephone, gas, travel, meetings, seminars, the list goes on and on. Any good Council Person worth their seat will actually SPEND more than they make as a Member, seriously.

So to me, it's bullshit! I only put good money after good money, period! I personally would have to believe that anyone seriously getting into Politics is a NUT! Then there are some who get into it because they're crooked and find ways to be on the take, I'll not mention any names, you know who I mean.

Then I sit back and I think about what I do daily and who actually makes more of a difference, me, or the Politicians? 2 years ago I would have said the Politicians. Today, I make more of a difference than I could ever make on Council, for example. I don't have 4 to 6 other people voting against me. I am able to say my peace, express my thoughts and then thousands upon thousands of you get on here and have the FREEDOM of making up your own minds on how you feel about each and every issue.

To be in Politics is a joke. The return on the investment into Congress is 20 years just to break even? There should be term limits and there should also be limits on Campaign Spending. Make everyone get out there and MEET the Citizens, like in the old days. Get to know your Candidate!

Then there's the personal attacks. You get some nut jobs out there like some of the Anti Albero Bloggers, the Cathcarts, Mike Dunn and some others that are puppets for the Mayor who are nothing but hit men for the Mayor and get on Story Chat, the Grapevine and the Blogs just to bash everyone. Remember the Mayor saying she had a job for Mike Dunn after he resigned? Take a wild guess who's who on the Story Chat! That can be difficult to take, getting personally attacked. You have to be a professional like me and take it for years to have a strong enough back bone to survive so many attacks. Charles Jannace couldn't handle it and had a sort of break down and shut down his Blog.

Anyhow, I have no personal interest in local Politics and I truly believe my Blog can do far more good than being paid peanuts and having nothing but dissatisfied constutuents. My hat is tipped to ALL of those Council Members who take so much heat from others, who do what they do basically for free because by the time they're done researching something they've spent more time and money on subjects than they make, believe me on that. Besides, once I start advertising I can at least make money at what I do. Politicians cannot. I'll stick with my Blog and make all the difference in the world from the outside. Wouldn't you agree?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done that.Cant wait to see what happens on the next city elections.

BossHogg said...

Joe:

Bloggers are maintaining one of America's time honored political traditions, pamphleteering!

Writing pointed political commentary in the form of self-published pamphlets or news papers is in the tradition of Benjamin Franklin & revolutionaries like Thomas Jefferson.

You & I are in politics we simply do not hold elected offices.

Personally I have run for Pocomoke City Council twice and my wife has run once.

The first time I ran it was on the 'Dump Russ Blake' platform with my only campaign promise... 'to open every City Council meeting with a resolution to remove the City manager from office..."

$107.00 was invested and I garnered 39% of the vote while the entire corrupt Pocomoke Political machine was cranked against me. They even paid crackheads and winos to vote against me.

Our Blogs have raised public awareness of certain issues... You broke the audit story, TONS of things with the zoo and more.

The Pocomoke Tattler is a broken record talking about an openly corrupt city government that has been run by an un-elected dictator for 32-years.

We are finally getting traction and support on issues such as the open air drug market, an X-Councilman who has moved outside his district thereby disqualifying himself from office and the refusal of the city government to enforce laws against insiders.

Why run for office?

Never say never... you might get the bug one of these years.

That's Elbert said...

We need an Andy Harris in Delaware. Do you know how to clone him? Some of us would like to take out another RINO.

Anonymous said...

Harris, like every red-blooded Republican, firmly opposes human cloning.

MpDave said...

Found this on the Daily Times web site... http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080219/OPINION08/802190349/1014/OPINION

Didnt see you post about it so i thought you might have missed it while covering the County Thefts...


# It's pretty clear the Sheriff Mike Lewis/blogger Joe Albero alliance helped kill off Congressman Wayne Gilchrest. One can only imagine who this team will go after next. So far their crusade against Chief Allan Webster and Barrie Tilghman has failed -- maybe this will reignite their efforts.

# So Mike Lewis and Joe Albero have another trophy on their political kill wall -- Wayne Gilchrest. Maybe we shouldn't underestimate the Lewis/Albero team in the future.