Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

WCSO Discusses Crime At Pittsville Town Meeting


Deputy Jeremy Bouchelle, (Iraq War Veteran) briefs the Town Council about crime stats for the past month in Pittsville.

1 B&E
14 Traffic Stops
2 DUI's
1 CDS and 1 Weapons at Pittsville School

I learned the State Police are covering the Town from 1:00 AM to 9:00 AM each and every day now.

The Pittsville Sub Station was in fact brought up and Sheriff Mike Lewis was expected to attend this meeting to discuss it with the Council but Sheriff Lewis was called out for a very special meeting, (I cannot discuss it) and could not attend this month. I did speak to Sheriff Lewis and confirmed why he could not attend. All I can tell you is, he's doing something far more important at the moment.

The Sub Station is a hot topic for some as many claim Sheriff Lewis expressed in his Campaign he would occupy this Sub Station. However, the crime doesn't demand it in Pittsville. I explained to the Council that the City of Salisbury has as many Officers working there as the WCSO has for the entire County.

This doesn't leave a whole lot of room to provide a single Deputy to patrol Pittsville. If the Town wanted to pay for an Officer strictly for Pittsville, they could do so. However, it doesn't seem to warrant it right now, IMO.

Pittsville is growing with fine new families to the community, they have a fantastic School System there in which everyone wants to send their child there, similar to Delmar. They have City Water & Sewer and IMO Pittsville is the next Bowie of the Eastern Shore. I have personally invested heavily into that community and I even asked many of my Developer friends back in Ocean City to start considering that Town years ago. Now they look at me and say, why didn't I listen to you.

I can remember the day when people would knock on my door there and say, I hear you're buying properties in Pittsville. I have a home I'd like to sell you for $25,000.00! Those were the days, eh?

Pittsville is still a great investment and as they grow they'll need to have a stronger presence in the community but for now I think the Sheriff is making the right decision. I did mention encouraging Sheriff's Deputies an incentive to live there. The Council seemed to accept the idea and perhaps they'll consider it down the road.

I should add, with 14 traffic stops in Pittsville alone, there's obviously a Sheriff's Department presence there. This does NOT include the State Police Records.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Pittsville is growing with fine new families to the community, they have a fantastic School System there in which everyone wants to send their child there, similar to Delmar. They have City Water & Sewer and IMO Pittsville is the next Bowie of the Eastern Shore. I have personally invested heavily into that community and I even asked many of my Developer friends back in Ocean City to start considering that Town years ago. Now they look at me and say, why didn't I listen to you.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Joe, you know I grew up in Bowie and have family there and go there many times a year. I certainly hope Pittsville DOES NOT become the next Bowie. I moved to Pittsville to get away from salisbury... which is becoming a Bowie.
But I do beleive Pittsville does need a more police presence than currently they have now. Crimes happen in daytime also, so just having the State Police patrol at night is no enough. That substation should be manned.
Pittsville is growing, but thak god it has slowed. I moved in my house 5 years ago, looked out front door and saw fields. Now there are over 75 houses in front of me, stacked as close as can be. Sure, nice looking, but wish the town had made the developments across from me build on larger lots like my developer to.
Behind me now I uses to be able to the Post Office. Now see Ruarks development with house almost on top of each other also. Glad I bought when I did as I can almost build a football field in my backyard.
Change can be good, but not all the time, especially in a town like pittsville that doesnt even have a grocery store nearby.
No, definatly dont want to become like Bowie, or even Salisbury here in Pittsville.

Jim

GO CAPS!!

Anonymous said...

what about all of the shootings/murders/robbery on west rd/cash mkt/price check/east rd ext area and cds sales put deputies where they are needed the sub station on del ave should be opened with aleast 6 deputies to keep those animals under control dont sugar coat it, it is what it is over there there should be two man partrols over there

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately crime seems to be going up in Pittsville. Although never published in the Daily News ask the people who live on Parker Place, Railroad Ave. and Cobbs Mill Rd about the recent string of car break ins that have occurred since right before Christmas. The local hoodlums know there is no police presence and seem to act at will.

Anonymous said...

When did Pittsville adopt it's own school system?

Anonymous said...

1003 no compairision to the west rd area last i heard pittsville was complaining about juviniles skateboarding wow car break in happen everwear in the county where do you hear of most of the robberies/cds sales shootings ext

Anonymous said...

Damn that boy is WHITE & MILKY in color!!! Get him in the sun...he's hurting my eyes!

Anonymous said...

Little chalky looking, isn't he??? Get a freakin suntan!