Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Restaurant Review




The City Bistro is a gem hidden in the Downtown Plaza that is to die for! I have attended many celebrations there and have eaten there several times and quite frankly its fantastic!

I went there yesterday with a friend and they recommended something I had never had there before, their Steak Sandwich. Considering I had ordered a Steak Sub from GoodFella's, I thought it would be a good idea to give it a try to see the difference.

Let me tell you Ladies & Gentlemen, THIS WAS REAL STEAK! No Steak Um's at this Restaurant! The Waiter asked how I'd like it cooked and I replied, medium rare. I have to admit, I'm thinking, how can they cook it medium rare, but what the heck.

The atmosphere was extremely pleasant and the food admittedly is pricey. I believe the 1/2 pound burger was $8.50 but I've had that in the past and it's well worth it. Your meal comes with probably the best french fries, (besides Thrashers) on the entire Eastern Shore, seriously.

When I was ordering my Steak Sandwich I saw the price of $11.00 and thought, man, that's steep. However, there had to be something special, so what the heck. I took some shots of the Restaurant and Bar area when I was leaving to sort of bring you to their environment, in case you've never been there.

Nevertheless, the food arrived and to my surprise I laid my eyes on what looked like a Steak Sandwich I had never seen before, REAL STEAK! It was so tender you could eat it with a fork. They have a sauce on it to die for and the ketchup was ONLY for the Fries.

The Waiter was VERY professional, making sure our drinks never got low and continued to ask each time, how is your meal. I had to give him a thumbs up each time because I had food in my mouth each time. The fries, VERY crisp, hot/warm and good to the very last fry, seriously. I ate them all and as I enjoy a big meal, this platter filled me to the brim!

So for what it's worth, this is a great place to take a date, your spouse, your co workers and or your friends. I know the Owner works very hard promoting the Bar & Restaurant and tries to have small Bands in there every so often. For those of you who know more about the City Bistro, I welcome you to add to this Post with your experiences.

What I enjoyed most, (besides the food and great service) was the environment. I did NOT feel like I was in a Strip Shopping Center. I felt like I was in a true Restaurant where this was NOT a Chain and they simply serve a fixed menu. They do NOT purchase their food from Sam's Club, that's for sure. I am in Sam's all the time and I have never once seen the owner of this Restaurant in there shopping with the mega carts full of all sorts of food.

If I worked Downtown you would catch me eating there at least 3 times a week! When you eat elsewhere and pay $6.50 to $9.00 for a Steak Um style sub, I'd rather pay more and walk away wanting to come back than simply eat elsewhere for less just because it might be more convenient.

So give them a try, you won't regret it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this place. I go there all the time! Their main bartender Adam always brings me the drink I want when I sit down. The food is great and the owners are the nicest people they truly make it and enjoyable dining experience. I wish more people knew about this place!

Anonymous said...

Faun and Wally are running one of the bestrestaurants in town. We eat there often. My son craves the Crispy Duck Salad and Bistro Chicken when away at college. I think the Halibut is to die for and cannot leave without an order of potstickers. The soups are execellent and the burger is one of the best in town only to compare with MSI.

river rat

Anonymous said...

Joe, you are making me HUNGRY reading this! LOL!! I want to go check them out. Great review by the way.

Anonymous said...

So what days and hours are they opened? Is there any "happy hour"

Just the facts, ma'am.

Joe Friday

joe albero said...

They're open for lunch and dinner. I don't drink and this is a food review, not a Happy Hour Review. Their telephone number is, 410-341-0606 if you'd like to call them for further details. You've got to love those Anti Albero Bloggers. Nothing is good enough for them.

Anonymous said...

The Crispy Duck Salad is SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO yummy! I also crave the spicy Thai soup with shrimp. And the bartenders are great, too. So ditto to all the comments here. A little more expensive than many places, but tasty.

Final Frontier

Anonymous said...

The food at City Bistro is great. It isn't much more expensive than other restaurants in the area and is so much better than Brew River!

Anonymous said...

I ate there with some friends one night when Doug Narrup was playing there. I will say Joe speaks the truth about this one, it is excellent fare and reasonable price for the excellent dining experience

Anonymous said...

Yes, the food is WAY better than Brew River's! City Bistro is the type of business all of the plaza should have, and then maybe we'd see an alive Downtown.

Nice to see them get a pat on the back.

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong by going yo Sams club.
But Wally as been there many times.
It all depends what you buy.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I agree with your assessment of City Bistro. It is a fabulous place to eat and Adam is by far one of the best bartenders I have seen. The food is well prepared and they truly care about their restaurant. I only have one suggestion to Wally & Faun-- clear the bar of that wanna be bankrupt foreclosed on developer
It would be a boon to business!