Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

An Open Letter To The Thieves

To whomever stole the pumpkin off my front porch on Riverside Road during late Monday night/early Tuesday morning, thanks a lot. It was great how you made my son cry first thing as soon as he walked out the door. Great work.

My only question is, how come you only took one of them. There were three sitting out there. What's wrong? You couldn't fit it in your book-bag on the way to school?

This has not only broken his heart, but convinced me that we will not be giving out candy at Halloween ever again. I am done with kids walking through my lawn dressed in the hoodie they wore to school, carrying a book bag that they shove in my face, without so much as a thank you. My house is officially "done" with the giving end of Halloween.

My wife and I will make sure our children have a fun time and dress up and enjoy the night as they should, but you will not enjoy any more from my end.

And, if you, the thief. is an adult, then you are too pathetic for words.

Happy Halloween.

11 comments:

dan said...

And before anyone comments, this is not from Joe. He was nice enough to post this for me, though we only know each other through the blog.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

teacherlady , dan and joe are all the same people. You have to get better than this joe. Your just trying to post some crime on riverside and come back on one of your posters that said something this past week about crime.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dan said...

FYI - I am not Joe, anon. I am a citzen of Salisbury, a Democrat, and someone concerned with the same things that face everyone else. I have never met Joe, and I do not even know if we have ever been in the same place at the same time before.

Anonymous said...

suck it up cupcake if you really wanted to keep the pumpking you would of secured it properly so it couldnt of been stolen. next you will do a joe and blame the theft on the fire department also

WatchfulEye said...

I think that if anyone has a jack-o-lantern, pumpkin or anything of the sort UP NEAR THEIR HOUSE, they are doing the best they can to make sure they aren't getting stolen. The bigger problem is that someone felt brave enough to walk up to someone else's home and steal something. Maybe it's because Riverside Road borders a college neighborhood, and the police don't tend to ride through that neighborhood unless they are specifically called to do so. It's also easy for kids, drug dealers, and the like to hide out in Woodcock Park (the one on Riverside Road) after dark. It never has been well lit. the reason I know the layout of the neighborhood is because I used to live there when I was younger.

Trust me, Dan. Your pumpkin will be found tomorrow morning smashed on the road somewhere by some loser that has no respect for anyone's property. It is the reason that I stopped having a pumpkin once I moved to the city.

Happy Friggin' Halloween.

karen said...

Watchfuleye,
Those were my old stomping grounds as well. While there were not many violent crimes in that neighborhood while I was growing up, I do remember petty thieving. Heck, some would be so brave as to steal from your front porch in broad daylight.

WatchfulEye said...

Real Talk, Karen. You are so right. There were even two break ins on the street. Thank GOD no one was home or hurt at the time.

Anonymous said...

Chief Webster did it!!!!

Anonymous said...

blame it on the white fire fighters!!! everything else is.

college students, now whos racial profiling

dan said...

I also learned from a neighbor today that one of his was stolen as well. Love this holiday.