Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, January 04, 2020

Former whistleblower: Ukraine complaint is cowardly crock

There’s a proper way for a CIA whistleblower to complain about a president. The anonymous CIA whistleblower who set off the Ukraine impeachment brouhaha did it wrong.

I would know — because I’m a former CIA officer who filed a whistleblower complaint against the Clinton White House and CIA management.

The charges lodged by “EC,” the rumored initials of the Ukraine complainant, fall far short of a bona fide whistleblowing complaint. EC’s behavior suggests that he has abused his office, and perhaps broken the law, by using his CIA position to damage President Trump politically.

In 1996, I sent my complaint to then-CIA Director John Deutch and asked him to forward it to the House and Senate Intelligence Committees and several other members of Congress. I sent copies to about six other senior CIA officials, including the director of security and the inspector general.

Because of the serious nature of my charges and to take full responsibility, I didn’t hide behind anonymity. I signed my complaint.

More

No comments: