Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, April 06, 2019

Brain damage from alcohol lasts up to six weeks after quitting

Alcohol-induced brain damage continues up to six weeks after stopping drinking, experts have warned.

It’s well known that excessive boozing isn’t good for the brain but up until now, little was understood about how long it takes to repair itself after going sober.

Booze danger greater than first thought
Scientists in Alicante, Spain and Mannheim in Germany have now found that the brain continues to be damaged for longer than previously thought. Their findings were published in JAMA Psychiatry.

They scanned the brains of 90 volunteer patients who were staying in a rehabilitation unit in a German hospital.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I d beendrunkin alcohole fr over 50 yeers and aint nuttin wrung my braan.

Anonymous said...

I'm 65 in a week or so. So, after 50 years of daily 6+ drinking (and smoking) with no ill effects, how do I process this information?

Should I keep up with the billboard ER waiting time?

When should I drive into the bridge abutment?

Or, should I just wait for the great drugs at the Hospice Center?

Maybe I'll just ignore all the BS and go on with my life.

There's no reasonable way to process this information...