Border Patrol agents learned that a migrant who crossed the border with a large group in the New Mexico desert is suffering from flesh-eating bacteria. Border Patrol officials said this is one of many ailments for which they are treating migrants.
Border Patrol agents assigned to the Lordsburg Station in New Mexico said a Central American migrant sought medical treatment for what he believed to be a rash. The agents transported the migrant to a hospital where doctors determine the rash to be caused by necrotizing fascitis — flesh-eating bacteria, Border Patrol spokesman Carlos Antunez told the Associated Press.
The bacteria, which can be fatal, spreads quickly after being introduced to the body through a minor cut or scrape. It can cause an infection that can destroy muscle, skin, and other tissue, officials reported.
The migrant is expected to require extensive treatment for the infection.