Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Students Want to Remove Clarence Thomas' Name From Building, but Can’t Say Why

Some students at a Georgia college continue to call for removing Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas’ name from a campus building, but aren’t able to say why.

“We should probably just take his name off of the building,” a young woman tells Cabot Phillips, Campus Reform’s media director, in a video posted Monday by the conservative student organization.

In the video, when Phillips asks students what they would point to that would justify their signing the petition to remove Thomas’ name, at least eight don’t have an answer.

“Um, um, hmm, do you mind if I get back to you?” a student wearing a pink bandana says.

“I don’t know, I haven’t done much research on this,” a young woman tells Phillips. “I just saw a Facebook petition about it, and that’s kind of the extent of it.”

“He is a historical figure,” says a student in the video wearing a Saints hat. “So, uh … So is Hitler.”

When Phillips asks whether Thomas had done something to justify removing his name, the student replies: “Not in particular.”

More/video here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And your paying them for this wonderful education. Now you understand why they can't get a job after graduation.

Anonymous said...

That's what you do when you can't think for yourself: condemn a highly successful and respected black man who fought false allegations against him.

Anonymous said...

Perfect example of the hive mind.

It's bonkers how divided everyone is, and they really don't know why. There is no nuance any more, no complex ideas or opinions. It's all "I'm a (insert political party here), so I must think all the things and agree lock step with the party".

Once I started forcing myself to know why I held my position on a topic, and FORCED myself to follow the facts no matter how uncomfortable they were... it was stunning how unlike the political parties I was really like.

The skill of "skepticism" is woefully lost in American culture today.

Anonymous said...

Rename all the martin luther king drives, avenues, streets, & highways too while you're at it. I think Donald J Trump would be a good replacement name.