Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Spinal Surgery May Not Cut Painkiller Use

Most patients who take prescription opioids for chronic pain before lumbar fusion surgery continue taking them long-term after surgery, a new study suggests.

More than 77 percent continued long-term postoperative use, and 14 percent had occasional use, the study authors wrote in the journal PAIN.

“The important message here is that patients go into surgery thinking it will eliminate their need to take pain medication. But for this type of surgery, it’s unlikely that patients will end up stopping opioids,” lead author Dr. Richard Deyo of Oregon Health and Science University in Portland told Reuters Health by phone.

According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, spinal fusion “(corrects) problems with the small bones of the spine (vertebrae). It is essentially a ‘welding’ process. The basic idea is to fuse together the painful vertebrae so that they heal into a single, solid bone.”

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know...the heroin epidemic didn't come about until the government outlawed pain management...because a FEW. Docs abused it....there's nothing wrong with legit pain management...but as government always does...they punish everyone....so there it is in a nutshell...get you some narcan for your grandpa with cancer..sad world were in...

Anonymous said...

the real problem is that the obese participation trophy generation wants strong opioids for every little temporary physical discomfort that they get and when doctors won`t do it they go running to the corner dealer to get their opioids and then they hooked. They feel no responsibility for their addiction because they were raised to be snowflakes who believe doctors are insensative to their feelings by not prescribing them strong opiods to treat their minor aches and pains.these snowflakes wouldn`t know real pain if it kicked them in the head,they think that any emotional or physical discomfort is PAIN that MUST be relieved with the strongest prescription drugs available.

Anonymous said...

For those of you that judge the practice of pain management try having your spine "welded" together then come tall to me! Its people like your local wonder boy and legalized dope dealer Alex Azar and the rest of his greedy doctors that should be penalized not those of us that need pain relief

Sand Box John said...

In my case it did.

SBJ

Anonymous said...

I'm taking Oxycontin and thank God for them and my pain management doctor. If I didn't have these I would put a bullet in my head. A man can only take so much.

Thank you for pain management.

Anonymous said...

I've smoked marijuana a lot when I was in High School at Pocomoke and many of my friends did as well. I keep in touch with them and not one of us has taken Heroin.

I have many friends who have had surgery and prescribed opioids and none of them has taken Heroin.

I have taken opioids with every surgery that I have had and I am not hooked on opioids or painkillers. In last 5 years, I have had 7 major surgeries where I was hospitalized and transferred to a rehab hospital. Numerous opioids and I am not hooked on prescription meds and I have no desire to take Heroin.

These idiots are just using opioids, doctors and manufacturers for their scapegoats.

People have been abusing alcohol and drugs for many years. No one is to blame but themselves for their habits. Humans are creatures of habit and they love getting a buzz. Doctors and opioid manufactures did not put the needle in anyone's arms.

Assholes need to own up to their own problems in life.