Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Happy Birthday, U.S. Navy!

THE NAVY TURNS 242

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace." - Theodore Roosevelt

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" - John F. Kennedy

October 13 marks the birthday of the U.S. Navy, which traces its roots back to the early days of the American Revolution. On October 13, 1775, the Continental Congress established a naval force, hoping that a small fleet of privateers could attack British commerce and offset British sea power.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best 4 years of my life. I served on an aircraft carrier, and went around the world. Also did a lot of growing up.

Anonymous said...

fair winds and following seas to all my fellow navy men and women