Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 13, 2016

What Others Are Saying Reflections On Area’s ‘Addiction Crisis’

I suppose the most worthwhile way to begin this letter would be to say that, from the bottom of my heart, I am truly, deeply sorry. My family moved to West Ocean City during the summer of 2000 when I was just 7 years old. My older sister, my younger brother, and I all graduated from SDHS and have worked several-year tenures for some of Ocean City’s most prosperous businesses. I remember thinking that “Senior Week” was a time when elderly patrons flocked to the beach to celebrate retirement. I remember the silhouette of a stag that would challenge the sunset to the triumphant melody of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture every evening at Fager’s Island while I enjoyed root beer from a glass bottle. I remember the outrageous fun we would have every year at Ocean City Elementary on Field Day, the ACES days, the 100th day of school. I remember Shantytown. Now, at 23, those precious memories are some of the first things from which I draw solace when I find out that another one of my friends has died from a heroin overdose.

There have been about a half dozen casualties my age to heroin abuse this year alone. More than ever, I have seen my community bound tightly together by heartache, determined to defeat the monster that is wreaking havoc on our people. But this is exactly why I begin my letter with an apology; as a member of this community, I know that the first step I must take in contributing to the solution is taking personal responsibility for the part I’ve played in creating the problem.

The “monster” of which I speak is not heroin, it is not drug dealers, it is not the pharmaceutical companies; it is alcohol.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very wise beyond your years!!! The attitude toward alcohol and all the support it gets from the state for further development of brewery/distillery outbreak sickens me!!! everything socially on the shore is centered around alcohol consumption

Anonymous said...

just say no

lmclain said...

Alcohol is VERY bad.
Unless it is the source of hundreds of millions of tax dollars.
Gambling is just as bad, but it becomes golden when the government blesses it.
The State doesn't give a CRAP about your life.
If there is money to be made, some serfs gotta die.
Keep cheering.

Anonymous said...

When my kids were little, I would not play many of the local radio stations in the car because of the obnoxious bar commercials were they promoted drinking shots... It made these places sound like an amusement park that a child would aspire to frequent one day. I also believe that addiction is not limited to drugs and alcohol. We are addicted to food, caffeine, technology... obviously they are not as deadly, but I think it's the same brain functions working.

Anonymous said...

Blame your poor decisions on some dark monster called alcohol.
For every heroin addict, you will find failed parenting

Anonymous said...

8:28. You need to educate yourself. Addiction has very little to do with poor parenting.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Blame your poor decisions on some dark monster called alcohol.
For every heroin addict, you will find failed parenting

August 14, 2016 at 8:28 AM

You need to do as 1005 suggests and educate yourself. Addiction knows no boundaries. Rich, poor, white, black, educated, ignorant, Christian or atheist. It matters not.

Anonymous said...

Well said Tyler. Unfortunately, the sale of alcoholic beverages in this country rakes in billions of dollars every year. The companies that produce it only care about the profit, not about the damage, as alcohol is nothing more than a liquid drug.