Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 02, 2015

I Just Couldn't Resist Trying This Myself



For those of you who don't know me, I absolutely love to cook Italian food. One thing my Family really enjoys is my baked ziti. Over the last two weeks I've been testing different kinds of dough because I had to come up with something that could handle all the weight of the ziti. In my research I actually found pre made dough right in WalMart, (by accident). So far that has worked out the best.

The other thing I had to do was place an order for deep dish pizza pans. They came in on Friday. Anyhow, if you like baked ziti, making it into your own pizza can be done right at home. 

One 16" pizza can feed and fill at least SIX people. Try it, you'll like it. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you use spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce?

Anonymous said...

That looks great. A couple of questions....How many inches in diameter is the pan? What temp and for how long did you bake the pizza$

JoeAlbero said...

11:35, The pan is a 16" pan and is almost 2" tall. I preheat the oven to 450 degrees and cook it for 20 minutes. You have to have the right tools such as the large wooden tool that removes the pizza from the pan. If you have the ceramic pizza tray in the over beneath the ziti pan you can then slide the pizza onto that tray to finish the crust. I also lightly coat it with flour before I put everything in the oven. This way the crust doesn't stick to it. The crust will be perfect in about 5 minutes.

I have my own recipe for my sauce. One trick I am willing to share is that I always add sugar to my sauce. Not a ton of it but enough to remove the acid. Another cool trick a lot of people don't realize is that you an use ground turkey to make a meat sauce. Being that it cooks in the sauce of your choosing, you have the very same texture as you would with ground beef yet you don't have the flavor of turkey. It's a healthier, (less greasy and less expensive these days) choice in my opinion. I wouldn't make meatballs out of it but in this recipe you'll never know the difference.

For the life of me I can't remember what they call the wooden tool that's flat and a little wider then the pizza that you always see pizza shops using to remove the pizza from the oven.

Enjoy

Anonymous said...

it's called a peel

Anonymous said...

A heart attack in the making!

Anonymous said...

We always called it a paddle. Of course, we're German not Italian (or Chinese).

JoeAlbero said...

2:23, Well, you must have a family with some very big a$$es.