Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, June 13, 2015

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 6-13-15

Swimming Holes
 
The era of the old swimming hole is long past. There were many in and around Salisbury that are no longer. The main spot was the City Park by the bandstand. The water was only four feet deep and always nice and refreshing. They even had a lifeguard. The Red Cross gave swimming lessons there, and, in the summer there was always a gang of children playing there. The end came when they built the zoo. This was in the mid-1950’s. The claim that the animal effluent traveling downstream polluted the water and made the water unsafe for the children caused the powers-that-be to ban all swimming. It has remained that way ever since. I never could understand what all the fuss was since we only had two monkeys in the zoo in those days. The ducks and geese were always there since this was their natural habitat.

Another favorite spot for those in the North Division Street area was Johnson’s Lake. The lake, enhanced by the concrete dam built as only one of two WPA projects (the City Park being the other), drew large crowds in the summer. They also held boat races on Johnson’s Lake. I remember watching them, and it was thrilling. The boats were called “pancakes”, because of their flat profile. They only held one person, the driver, and could fairly fly. Nowadays, Johnson’s Lake doesn’t even have swimming as a recreation. If you want to swim, you have to join the YMCA or the Elks Club, or have access to the College pool. Opened in 1960 was Canal Park. They had a large pool, and the annual membership fee was only $35. It is also now only a memory.

Another venue was the City Park down by Picnic Island. The water above the dam, just beyond the right field fence of the Little League field, was available to the more adventuresome. I remember watching some larger boys swim there as I played at the ball park.

There was also Schumaker Pond that could refresh a body during the long, hot summer. It is a lengthy body of water that is the easterly origin of the Wicomico River. There are many parts of Schumaker. The most easterly part makes for a nice canoe or kayak jaunt. There is a park there now, but swimming is not one of the recreations. Moving west, Schumaker becomes Beaver Dam Creek, running past and through the zoo. As it continues along, it runs through the City Park past the bandstand. From there, it empties into the Wicomico River.

North of Salisbury was Leonard’s Mill Pond. A swimming area was established to the west of Route 13 at one time. That has all gone by the wayside in lieu of the Wicomico County Tourism building being the only attraction at this location. Years ago, on the other side of the highway, before Chestnut Hill development was there, there was a house there from which you could rent canoes.


I remember paddling a canoe with another boy way back in the woods. On our way back, the wind shifted and we had a hard time making it back. Ah, memories!

12 comments:

bob pinto said...

It might have been illegal to swim near the old park bandstand, but I remember as a very young lad in the early 60's bigger kids jumping off that curved bridge into the water.

I did learn to swim at Canal Park by an instructor named Moe in the mid 1960's. They had 2 pools including the smaller shallower one for kids.

Anonymous said...

I learned to swim in the park near the old bandstand when I was 3 in the mid 50's.I don't recall the water being only 4 feet deep,but of course I wouldn't because I wasn't even 4 feet tall until after 1960.Judging from this post the authorities claimed that animals were the source of the pollution that eventually terminated swimming hole use in our area.Personally I think people generated the pollution that plagues the water and the environment in general.People will ultimately be the death of this planet.Great post George.

Anonymous said...

My father swam in the City Park and I remember swimming in the other locations you mentioned. Thank you for your post,it brought back some fond memories.

Anonymous said...

My sister and I also learned to swim at the City Park. We later joined Canal Park.. George Bowers owned it I think. Moe at Canal Park was Moe Turner, he used to live on Druid Hill Ave.

Anonymous said...

I heard of snakes in Schumaker Pond. That was enough to keep me from going in that water.

Anonymous said...

Now, the snakes are in office.

Anonymous said...

There are snakes in every body of water in and around Salisbury. Red Bellied Water Snake and Northern Water Snake are the two species that live in and near water. They are non-poisonous and not particularly aggressive unless cornered. There are no Cottonmouths (Water Moccasins) on the Eastern Shore, no matter who says so. Their northernmost range is North Carolina.
The only poisonous snakes in Maryland are the Timber Rattler and Northern Copperhead. The Rattler is exclusive to the Western side of Maryland, preferring upland forest. The Copperhead is present on the Shore, but not extremely common.

Anonymous said...

2:32-a long time ago someone told me that if copperheads were near they smelled like cucumbers.I actually heard that several times from different sources.Who knows?

Anonymous said...

I swam in Johnsons Lake as a kid. And yes..there were snakes...but they were more afraid of you than you were of them.

Anonymous said...

George, you are better than vitamins! Your articles bring back such fond memories of my childhood and it makes me happy.

When I was very, very young (just after dinosaurs), I remember wading in the fountain at the park along with the usual weekend regulars and boy that was fun. When I was a little larger I graduated to the pool by the bandstand. Now that was fun and a lot of it!!

It's funny how we never thought those days would end and we took it all for granted. What I wouldn't give to have the happy days back.

Now for the snakes, it is true about the smell of copperheads. Where I used to live, I found them around my yard. A female had babies under the woodpile. I let out a scream that I think is still circling the earth, and a good neighbor came over and killed every last one of them.

George, thank you again for all the research and hard work you put into these articles. They bring me so much pleasure.

See ya at the pool!

Anonymous said...

I used to swim at Schumaker's Pond and the reason I quit was that I was ran out of the water by a snake. And no, I was not bothering him, but he still chased me out of the water. I never went back.

I also was told many, many years ago that you could smell a copperhead but I was told the smell was like honeysuckle. Never encountered one so I'm not sure. Would suit me fine if that held true for the rest of my life. I hate snakes.

Anonymous said...

There are more copperheads than I once thought. I have seen a number dead on the road while bicycling including one in Kilburnie. My son has released a number found in his yard in areas where people don't live. I know they were copperheads because I saw them. I am proud of him for not killing them. Still I continue to believe most copperheads people see are not copperheads at all. Many people are very phobic.