Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Little girl feeds crows; in return, they bring her gifts

Eight-year-old Gabi Mann loves her corvid friends, and they reciprocate with small trinkets.

Like many kids her age, 8-year-old Gabi Mann from Seattle has an interesting collection of treasures. A yellow bead, one blue earring, a tiny light bulb, a paperclip and a rusty screw. But unlike many kids her age, Gabi didn't collect these treasures herself. They were brought to her by crows.

Yes, you read that right. Like Cinderella, Gabi has bird friends that bring her gifts on a regular basis.

It all started quite by accident. As a toddler, Gabi was prone to dropping her food as she walked along. Soon, the crows were keeping an eye on her, and swooping in to pick up the pieces whenever she dropped a morsel. As Gabi got older, she began sharing her school lunch on the way to the bus stop. It didn't take long before the crows lined the street to greet her bus each day.

Then, in 2013, Gabi decided to do more than just share the scraps of her lunch. Each morning, she began filling a birdbath with fresh water, and setting out food — peanuts, dog food and general leftovers — for the birds to eat. It was then that the gifts from the crows started to appear.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crows are very very smart for a bird!

Anonymous said...

This explains a whole lot.I am a bird feeder by nature.Whenever I have stale bread left over they all know where to come and get it,and anything I think they might eat also finds it's way into my fenced in back yard.Over the years I've found any number of shiny & glittery items randomly lying around,but never really gave it a thought until I read this.Certainly a possibility.

Anonymous said...

Way cool!

Anonymous said...

I loved this story!

Anonymous said...

I had a pet crow when I was a kid and he ate just about anything ,we fed him table scraps.I had to be careful when I worked on my motorcycle because he would make off with nuts and bolts.He would walk along the clothes line and poop on the clothes as my mother hung them up.He migrated in the fall but always came back every spring but he wouldn't get close enouge that we could pick him anymore. Great pet