Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 08, 2014

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 3-8-14

The Grocery Store

How many of us remember the corner grocery store? It seems like there was one on every corner when I was growing up. In 1899 there were 28 grocery stores listed in the Salisbury City Directory. This figure grew to the following numbers: by 1907 – 35, by 1920 – 37, by 1940 – 62 and finally in 1961 their numbers had grown to 92. There were many things about the corner grocery store that you cannot find today. Every local grocer knew his clientele and would often let them “slide” until they could pay. I guess this was the forerunner of the modern credit card, even though much less formalized. It’s true that the world has grown bigger and everything in it has grown proportionately larger as a result.

When a local businessman would open a grocery store at the turn of the 20th century, he depended on the attractiveness of his products to sell themselves. The old lithograph labels that went on cans of fruits and vegetables were works of art in themselves, although a lot of artistic license was taken as to the origin of the product. I have seen a label from Willing’s canned tomatoes in Nanticoke with a nature scene on it with mountains in the background. Some were embossed, and many had pictures that were suitable for framing. Collecting these labels has become a hobby in itself.

I remember Mom giving me two quarters to go across Church and Truitt Streets and get her a loaf of bread and a quart of milk from Mr. Ford’s store. In those days, Church Street was Rt. 50 and the main road to Ocean City. He had two gas pumps out front at one time but took them out for fear that one of the many accidents on that corner would lead to disastrous results one day. I used to like to go because of the penny candy, which every store had. I’m sure everyone remembers their favorite selection. And remembers when soft drink bottles were able to be redeemed for two cents. The drink itself was only a nickel so three bottles would get you a drink and a piece of penny candy.

When I was going to St. Francis, I remember Rayne’s on Smith St. I used to buy baseball cards there. I would wait until I saw a card I didn’t have and knew that Mrs. Rayne had received a new order. I would then go over there and buy a box from the new order, knowing that a new series was out. In a box I would usually get about 117 cards out of 125 in the series and enough “doubles” to trade for the ones I didn’t get. While some kids were spending a fortune, I would only have to spend $1.20 to get the whole series. Looking back, that was a great plan. I kept those cards until they went so high in the late 1980’s, the money looked better than the cards.

I had two great aunts that had a store known to many a Salisbury youth way back when. It was called Dae & Dodie’s and was on Walnut Street. Dae was Daisy McConnell and Dodie was Dora Disharoon. They were my grandfather’s sisters, but they were born after he ran away from home so he never was raised with them. The building is gone now and only memories exist. My grandparents lived around the corner on Gay St., but since they moved when I was five, I didn’t frequent Dae & Dodie’s. I remember going in there once and it was magical. Naturally, they wanted to give their nephew whatever he wanted and the place was full of candy. I think it also had wooden floors and they creaked with certain sounds that seem to make the place come alive. They had a certain warmth and nostalgia that you will never find in the antiseptic floors in the modern supermarket.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post George.In Delmar we had B&C Market & many others over the years.I remember stealing a candy bar when I was 5.My mother was furious & made me return it.Mr Culver tried to act as serious as he could when I brought it back,but I'm sure he was about to explode laughing.

Anonymous said...

My parents used Ding Bell's Market on N. Division St. He also had a market in Ocean City. Back then we became friends with him and his family. Mom used to call in the order; he would box it up and we would pick it up. Since this was a butcher shop as well, the meats were always fresh and very good. of course, back then we didn't eat meat everyday like most people do today.

it would sure be nice to have Ding Bell's Market today...

Guimo said...

Also, College Market just east of Camden ave, on the north side of College Ave Before that, I believe it was called Riggin's.
There was a grocery store at the western end of Virginia Ave. I forget its name,
Newton Jackson

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mr. Chevallier, for a great memory.

Having moved here as a teenager in 1975, the only one that I remember was on South Division st.
They cut their own steaks and chops, were reasonable, and I can almost see those dear old folks in my memory's eye.

What was the name of that store?

George Chevallier said...

6:13
S. Division Street had 4 markets located at that address. They are as follows with their address number:
701 Harris Grocery
745 Whayland's Cash Market
1013 Princeton Market
1343 Woody's Market
I hope this helps jog your memory.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with Whayland's Market. It was a big deal when we were allowed to walk there to get penny candy. In the summer they had a snowball machine set up on the counter. If you bought a sandwich made by Mr. Whayland it was always a good idea to also buy a loaf of bread due to how big his sandwiches were.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mr. C, it was Whayland's. I too, remember those huge sandwiches! Ah, the good ol' days...