Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 07, 2013

American Hero

This is a little long as I start six years ago.

At the airport in George town, DE some guys got together and decided to try a combination car show and air show. I was chosen to represent my car club (Wheels That Heal). The name was and is Wings and Wheels. Each year since it has gotten larger and larger. Hundreds of cars and dozens of planes.

One of the men behind the show owns a restored B-25 that he flies to airshows around the east coast representing DAV. Panchito on google.

Last night we had dinner with 40s and 50s show and music to kick off this years W&W show today. The B-25 was nosed into the hanger where this took place.

The guest of honor was Dick Cole.
Never heard of him?? He was co-pilot on the first B-25 launched from the USS Hornet against Japan.
The pilot?? Jimmy Doolittle.
“30 Seconds over Tokyo” ring a bell??
Of the 80 original volunteers only a few remain. Dick is one!! Almost 98 years of age.
When asked what was the greatest memory from the mission he replied “when the chute opened”.

I am honored to have met, talked with, shaken the hand of, and had a picture taken with a True American Hero.
I felt so small standing next to him!!

BTW!! Around the hanger were photos, newspaper articles, etc. about the Doolittle Raid and the B-25.
What an emotional night!!
Yes, it is 0330 and still thinking about the night!!

Most Humbly,
Dave

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great American indeed! Thank you, sir, for your service!

Anonymous said...

Back in 1962 I was eleven years old and my favorite book was Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo by Captain Ted Lawson. It was a very inspiring book and made me realize how much these men sacrificed for our country. I highly recommend reading it if you already have not.

Anonymous said...

Dave. I believe there is one of those shows scheduled for Nov. 9th at the Ocean City airport. If you have info please pass it on. Thanks. John R.

Anonymous said...

I also had the honor of meeting this great American as well as many other vets at the airshow.