Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, December 01, 2012

A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS


It’s almost December and the Christmas spirit has not entered my soul yet. It’s not like the old days when I didn’t realize what was going on in the world. The magic went out of Christmas when the last of my kids stopped believing in Santa Claus. Now, buying the tree, putting up the lights and buying the presents are just another chore. Sometimes I feel like Charlie Brown at Christmas.
Last night I was at the YMCA with Avalon and my son, trying to work off the cruise weight. As I was pedaling away on the stationary bike, A Charlie Brown Christmas came on the TV. I watched it for the first time in years. I loved it as a child and loved watching it with my kids. It first aired in 1965 when I was two years old. I’d forgotten that the theme of the cartoon was the over-commercialization and secularization of Christmas. Imagine that. Charles Shultz thought Christmas was too commercialized in 1965. Think how far we’ve come, with hordes of ignorant dumbasses knocking each other to the ground on Black Friday. The scene that made me laugh was when Charlie Brown’s little sister asks him to write her letter to Santa Claus: 
Sally: Please note the size and color of each item, and send as many as possible. If it seems too complicated, make it easy on yourself: just send money. How about tens and twenties?
Charlie Brown: TENS AND TWENTIES? Oh, even my baby sister!
 
Sally: All I want is what I… I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share.

No comments: