Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hurricane Agnes Devastated Region 40 Years Ago

One of the most devastating storms in U.S. history came slowly up the east coast in late June 1972 and hit the Mid-Atlantic region hard, dropping 14 inches of rain from June 20 to June 23.

Rivers and creeks dramatically overflowed their banks. Portions of I-95 were flooded with water. The lower part of the National Zoo was inundated by Rock Creek. The Potomac breached its banks and saturated lower Georgetown. Main Street in Laurel was under the water of the Patuxent River.

Before the water receded, 34 people had died in Virginia, Maryland and D.C. Many of them were trapped in cars by raging flood waters.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief, we've had two tropical storms already this year and it's not even Hurricane season yet. Ocean City is a time bomb, it's only a matter of time before another Agnes makes the shores of Maryland. Not wishing it, but the odds aren't good that it won't.

Anonymous said...

We lived in Laurel, MD when Agnes went through. It was the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade for me. I remember my father bundling us all up in the car and riding around to look at the damage when it was all over with.

Anonymous said...

I was 6 when Agnes hit. I was visting my grandparents at the summer home in the mountains of Virginia when Agnes came through. I remember my grandmother putting me in a trash bag with the head and arms cut out so we could walk to the bottom of the driveway to let the animals out of the barn because the creek was rising fast. Even in that area they got hit bad. It was a while before I could even come back to Maryland because it had washed away some of the bridges. At 6 I didn't know what all the fuss was about but I do now.