Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hundreds of Thousands May Lose Internet in July

For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say this, but this sounds like a really hokey way to get large numbers of people to login and register their machines to receive malicious FBI software so that the government can shut us down at any time...
I'll trust private security software companies over our government any time to provide my computer with antivirus software!

Anonymous said...

Joe, the way to fix it is to download the "recommended" program that will eradicate the virus. It will also embed a program that will permit the government to bypass every form of firewall and give them easy access to everything on your computer. I have warned many people ab out this but everyone says that they need the internet so they have no choice. They will download the program so they can work, use online college resources, etc. They have us over a barrel as it relates to the internet. Once they control the internet, free speech between the masses is a fond memory.

Anonymous said...

People are addicted to their computers plain and simple.I can live without mine because I don't use it for anything other than checking news.This may wreak havoc on businesses and those who use a computer for everything,but I myself will simply discontinue my service if things get too messy.

Anonymous said...

not doing this...

Anonymous said...

I still got it! ;D

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the above..I don't trust anything about this hokey government...anybody wonder why this is the only site available to clean this worm up and it comes from a security partner of the FBI...what the hell is that? Like I said just wondering....

Anonymous said...

Joe - you are our computer guy and stay up to date,
so .... should we computer illiterates do this to see if we are infected? I feel like - I'm damned if I don't and damned if I do".

Anonymous said...

too funny!!! If you want to keep computing safely, move to Linux.