Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 27, 2012

Washington Post Wonders If Fight Against Globull Warming Is Hopeless

They could certainly help by walking the talk, and stop killing trees that pull CO2 out of the atmosphere to publish a newspaper. Oh, and go to handpower to publish, because energy usage puts out CO2. I will give them up-twinkles for at least calling it global warming, instead of climate change

IS THE FIGHT against global warming hopeless? It can seem so. The long-term threat to the climate comes from carbon dioxide, which lingers in the atmosphere for hundreds of years, locking in higher temperatures for generations. After decades of effort, only about one-tenth of America’s energy mix comes from renewable sources that don’t produce carbon dioxide.

And the others seem to leave lots of real environmental degradation

But two policies can buy the world more time to allow carbon-free technologies to catch up. One is aimed at greenhouse substances that clear out of the atmosphere after a few years, months or even days. Cutting back the emission of soot and ozone gases such as methane would reduce the world’s warming by as much as a half degree Celsius over the next few decades, according to a study in last month’s Science. Adding hydrofluorocarbons — another class of short-lived pollutants — to the list would help even more to delay the approach of temperature thresholds beyond which global warming could be catastrophic.

Show us the way, WP editorial board: tell us all the ways the WP has reduced it’s “carbon footprint.”

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Isn't Washington Post another Gannett newspaper?
My husband and I went to the Better Living Expo on Saturday and the two people working the Daily Tiems booth were SO pushy!
As soon as I saw they were from D.T. I told them, NO THANK YOU. The guy started asking me questions like "Do I use coupons" and I quickly let him know that the coupons in the D.T. were PATHETIC and the paper was pathetic and I no longer purchase it or subscribe to it.
Then, the girl spoke up and I believe the Washington Post is the one she was saying, "Well you need to subscribe to this paper then". I told her I wasn't interested in ANY paper they were associated with and that I felt they were not worth the paper wasted to print them on and that I get ALL of my news either online or on TV.
They continued to try and pressure me and finally I just looked around and said, "Can you believe the pressure from these people"?
Everyone looked and we noticed that after that ALL the people were avoiding their booth!

Anonymous said...

But what about GLOBAL warming?

Anonymous said...

10:14, i know. aren't you worried that Global Warming will just overtake us and we will be dead or dying from this very shortly?

i'm so worried i left my car running overnight in my driveway (ops). my dryer is running all day today (i like that humming sound). i'm leaving all my lights on right now (incandescent) and will probably turn them off tomorrow morning. (oh well). i think my refrigerator door is ajar (oh darn) i keep forgetting that door. i think i'll go out for a "cruise" today. it's so pretty. i really don't have any purpose; just crusin'. i just threw away my plastic and glass in the regular trash (no time for seperating, must get crusin').

Global Warming, Climate Change; it's enivitable. we will have Global Cooling, Climate Change one day again. just be a good steward and God will take care of the rest. good nite and sweet dreams...

Anonymous said...

Global warming and cooling happens naturally.Its a few who want to make it a man-made issue to get super rich off of it and control you.Just remember 1 volcano does more than all of mankind since they been on earth!