Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Preppers view - Get Healthy!

According to statistics, most Americans are overweight and unhealthy. As preppers, we focus a great deal on taking the necessary steps to have alternative food sources, heat sources, self-defense, etc. but there is something else to consider. All the firewood in the world won't matter if you can't carry it into the house. All the vegetables in the garden won't do you a bit of good if you don't have the energy or the ability to pick it from the plant and be on your feet long enough to can it. Too many of us aren't.

Being substantially overweight, smoking, and being sedentary are all things that can negatively affect how well you prepare and deal with disasters. About a year ago this became clear to me as I was doing some lite yard work taking advantage of a free weekend. I had carried a small amount of brush to the back of my property that was too small to justify pulling the 4 wheeler out of the shop. After about 5 minutes I realized that the years and a less than adequately active lifestyle had taken a toll on me. It forced me to look in the proverbial mirror and assess my own physical fitness. I asked myself how lack of physical conditioning would affect my ability to survive a disaster. After stepping back I realized that the most important tool for assuring that I would survive ANY disaster was.....me. It was time to get to work.

I quit smoking many years ago and I felt much better but I had put on a few pounds as a result. But as I got older I also had been focusing more on work and less on keeping myself healthy. Especially in this economy where it takes longer hours to make less money. I went from 235 lbs. to 265 lbs. Since I am over 6' tall and it was gradual and the only thing I noticed was an increase in clothes sizes. I mean....I didn't have the dunlap disease or anything but now I was noticing it taking a toll on my endurance. I immediately cut the portions of food I eat in half. It sounds drastic but it isn't. It's much better to eat more and smaller portions of something healthy than it is to have 5 slices of pizza. I implemented an exercise routine that included free weights and resistance training 3 days a week. Within the first month I noticed things "shifting" which gave me the drive to continue. It made me realize that it really didn't take much to make a difference. A little effort goes a long way. I started walking a mile...then a mile and a half. And walking doesn't cost anything. Eventually I noticed big changes. I dropped a pant size and my energy and endurance went up drastically. I was very happy with the results and I got a great feeling of satisfaction. I knew that my prepper plan was much closer to being complete.

Increasing your metabolism burns calories and physical activity increases your metabolism. It also increases your endurance. An increased endurance could make the difference between living and dying. Most criminals that may try to take your food during a disaster won't be endurance trained. They may be strong - especially if they have been in jail since we pay for their weights so that they can work out while they serve their time, but most don't tain for endurance. Give yourself an edge. Your health and endurance is as important as a defensive weapon, a generator, or a wood stove. But most importantly...your health is your responsibility. And for the naysayers.....whats the worst that could happen? You would be healthier and would likely live longer with a better quality of life. Seems like a win/win to me. How about you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good atricle. It should open some eyes. I started working out about 2 years ago and I have never been so healthy. But i have never been fat either. I do feel a lot beter than i did before and i have more confidence.

Anonymous said...

People who are older or morbidly obese should see a doctor before beginning any work out routine. The begin a routine that is lite or moderate as the doctor recommends. You can always work up to a more intense workout as your body adjusts. Still an overall great article since more than 99% of Americans could stand to be more active.

Anonymous said...

I have been in great shape since I was young. I have always wanted to stay in shape. I am 35 now and when I see people who are out of shape I always say "I will never get like that". There are a lot of good points made in this article. People need to get a clue.

Westside Prepper said...

I disagree with the writer of this article. Being in good cardio health isn't as important as the other things they mentioned. It's much more important. You can't do anything unless you are healthy. Nothing. If your not healthy you have nothing to start with. This is a good reason to get up and get started because prepping is something we all need to do. The more people who are prepared, the fewer who will starve to death when some type of REAL disaster occurs.

Anonymous said...

I think it's time for me to get off my fat a$$ and do something healthy, I have to start sometime.

Anonymous said...

Early morning workout would be a smart start to every preppers day. You are gonna have to be in good shape handle whats around the corner. It could be a hurricane, an earthquake, a bad nor'easter, or a tornado. Nobody knows what can happen. Thats the whole point in being prepared.

Anonymous said...

yeah I don't think people living on canned food with inherit the earth
sorry paranoia also has an archtypical body type as well not to mention mental deficit