Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, July 10, 2010

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER

The Surplus Store



Since I was just your average boy in the 1950’s, I was fascinated with anything to do with war, guns and the associated paraphernalia that went with them. The Korean War had ended in 1952, and there were a lot of surplus military goods to be had. Salisbury did not have one of the big outlets as did Baltimore and Philadelphia. They had branches of a chain known as “Sonny’s Surplus”. They were huge stores and I am sure they had much more to offer than our little surplus store. Since none of us boys had seen a Sonny’s Surplus, we thought what we had was the cat’s meow.

I was solidly into my “cowboy” years and this was a whole new avenue for someone my age to discover. We all had our pistols and holsters to play cowboys and Indians, but this was a picture into the regular lives of real soldiers. Salisbury had our own surplus store, and it was a regular Shangri-la to boys my age. Even the smell was foreign to us. It smelled of far-off lands and adventures that we could only imagine. That place was Willie’s Fair and they sold only military surplus. Naturally your mother never entered a place reserved for the sale of such things that only men would understand, which made it that much more special.

Being always the practical one, I bought the “live bait” box pictured above. The price of fifty cents is still visible on it. It probably never saw any military action, but it was painted “O.D.” and came from that mecca of military memories – Willie’s Fair. O.D. actually stood for olive drab, but when Crayola made a crayon of that color and called it O.D., my sister and I proceeded to call it odor.

Willie’s Fair was located on E. Church Street on the corner of Records Street and the building is still there, although it is now used as a furniture warehouse. Just as the building is still there, so are the memories of those glorious days spent wandering the aisles, looking at all the gas masks, used uniforms, helmets and other goodies associated with the military.

I remember buying rubber balls there for nine cents. The man told me that they were used by the Navy for something. He wasn’t sure just what. They predated the super ball that became so popular with children but exhibited the same traits for which the super ball is known. They were about the size of a tennis ball and would ricochet off my front steps with tremendous speed. I used to play with one of those balls and my ball gloves for hours. It was good infielding practice.

I don’t remember when Willie’s Fair ceased operations, but they are listed at the 612 E. Church St. address in the 1961 telephone book. That was the year I graduated from Wi-Hi and I’m sure I had gotten over my fascination with war by that time and didn’t patronize them.

But to a 10-year-old boy, it was just the most intriguing place. I lived on the corner of Church and Truitt streets and walked the few blocks without the fear I would probably have today. Times change.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that Willie's Fair had moved to south 13 across from Drug Fair during the early 70s.

Anonymous said...

I loved Willie's Army/Navy Surplus Store, even as an adult! Thanks for the memories, George!

chuckie said...

i don't know how i could have survived the battle field in the vacant lot next to the house i grew up in without my army belt and cantine.army navy surplus was the local store near my old stomping grounds and i could walk that place for hours if you let me ...gear story brought back memories

Anonymous said...

Willie's Fair relocated to a building near Breaktime, and was there in the 80's.

Tundra Tom said...

Distinctly remember loving Willie's Fair in my youth. Bought a helmet with what appeared to be a bullet dent once. Dreamed of buying what my friends and I thought was the best item in the store--a more or less complete ball turret from a WW II bomber. Don't know whatever happened to it.

Anonymous said...

I remember a classmates mother who worked there fatally shot at Willie's Fair about 1972 or 73.

Anonymous said...

I remember that ball turret! It was sitting in the floor and it took me at least three visits to figure out what it was. Of course, I was much younger and innocent way back then.

dinosaur said...

I bought my 1st canteen for hiking and camping with the Boy Scouts from Willies Fair in 1957. Thanks for the memories George !

Anonymous said...

Cool story. I was an employee of the furniture store that owns Willies Fair for many years. It was then and still to this day referred to as "Willies".

Anonymous said...

the only thing like it anymore is H&H Surplus on Eutaw street in Baltimore the basement there is filled with military junk from all over the world

Unknown said...

My grandfather was the manager of Willie's Fair. My father worked there when he was a boy. I enjoyed going around the store and looking at all the great things that were there. I especially enjoyed the old airplane gun turret that was in the front store window. My grandfather would scoot me away from it all the time! It was, and still is, a great memory!

K.D. Sheldon

Anonymous said...

My grandparents babysat my son (back in 1953 or thereabout).
They lived at the far end of Records Street. Many times during week my grandfather took my son to Willies Fair. My son really thought they were doing something great.

Jal said...

bought my first deer rifle at willys fair british sniper 303 still use it I

think the year was 1957
I loved the nuts & bolt selection

smitty240 said...

Wow, everyone seems to remember that gun turret. I'd also love to know what ever became of it. Rows upon rows of 1903 and 1903A3 rifles, $15, your choice. Also the Enfields and others.

From my memory, the turret resembled the upper turret of a B-25, and I hope it is still flying around on one of those proud old birds today.

Anonymous said...

I used to buy motor oil by the gallon there to put in my '48 oil burning Packard. Remember the store very well. EL