Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, May 08, 2009

Dumping Of Animals

Hey Joe,

I was wondering if you could help me with something...sometime this morning, someone left 4 adult cats in 2 cat carriers along the road near the landfill station just past the Humane Society. While I realize it might be hard for someone to bring their pets to us to give up, I don't see the logic (or love) in dumping them along the road in hopes that someone may see them and either take them home or bring them to us. What if someone had not come along? Or worse, what if someone saw the carriers along the road and, not knowing cats were in them, ran over the carriers just because they had a vehicle that could? The horrible things that can happen to an animal that is dumped, either in a carrier or not, is far worse than bringing it to the Humane Society where it may be put down due to illness, disease, injury or temperment. Contrary to the belief that some people hold about us, we do not enjoy euthanizing animals and it is a decision and responsibility we do not take lightly or make quickly. If you can help me get the message out, I would appreciate it. And to the person who dumped their cats along the road, I want you to know they are well and doing just fine in our care and we will do all we can to find them a new home.

Thanks Joe,

Linda

11 comments:

mommaneedswine said...

Didn't this happen just in the last few months? This story is giving me major deja vu!

Anonymous said...

These poor cats could of died due to being left inside the carries. To the person who did this, would you of done this to a person? Animals love us unconditionally. It's a shame these animals didn't receive the same from you.

Anonymous said...

I am not for sure but I heard that if you take animals to the humane society that you had to pay for each animal that you leave.Is this true. if so the way people are watching thier budget they do not have the money to pay them. I am not from Wicomico County but I had heard this from people that live there.

doug wilkerson said...

Im not an animal type person but why did whoever that dropped these animals off not just take them the rest of the way to the Humaine Society? Is there a fee or something to drop animals off, do you get in trouble or something?

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have to pay to take you animals there, but I could be wrong. As for Linda saying they don't take euthanizing the animals lightly, from my experience it all depends on her likeness of the animal and whether she feels the urge or not. I have had nothing but bad experiences with the humane society since she has been in charge.
I am glad though that these cats were not harmed.

Anonymous said...

This is just terrible. How can someone do this?

Anonymous said...

Some people should not have pets, but I guess they are too sellfish to realize it.

Roger the Catman said...

Thats interesting....I called the Humane Society wanting to bring cats that I had trapped in my yard (no collars) and they said no way, no how, were they going to take them. We tried to take some cats there and got turned away, so thats probably why they were left in a carrier near your place.
I have found a new way to get rid of feral cats. Dont need the Humane Society either.

Anonymous said...

My son tried to take some kittens there a while back that someone had dumped on the side of the road and they wanted to charge him for each one of them. When I found that out, I knew a problem just like what happened this morning was going to happen.

Timmay said...

I agree that this was a very irresponsible way to handle the situation. However the staff at the Humane Society sometimes do not make it easy to return an animal. I had a dear frind who adopted a beautiful dog from there and the dog suffered from separation anxiety and ended up destroying her houe. After a large amount of money spent on vets, anti depressents, pet therapist she was forced to return the animal and then made to feel like a sub human person who couldnt "handle" having a pet. I respect the work that the staff at the humane society does and feel that it is important. However if they were to examine their attituted towards some situations such as these their impact on the community could be very beneficial. Also, I am sure that there are many peopele who are not that devout about taking care of their animals Im just saying its important to see the difference.

Anonymous said...

I have dropped off two cats there in the last 17 years, one being just 3 weeks ago, and money was never mentioned. I had to show identification and sign a paper; I expect that keeps the volume down and holds people accountable. I never have taken a "litter" there, either, so I don't know if they have a policy on that.