Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dig 'Em Up And Hope They Don't Come Back To Haunt


Shoe boxes, footlockers and fiberglass caskets holding the remains of turtles, dogs even a pony will be disinterred from a property north of Richmond to make room for commercial development.

A New York-based company intends to build a hotel and restaurants over the Evergreen Pet Cemetery on Route 1 in Hanover County, Va. And it has every right to proceed.

Helen T. White, who established the cemetery in the 1960s when she began burying her show dogs on family property, didn't leave records and obtained no licenses to operate.

Similar pet cemeteries existed around the state until the General Assembly enacted regulations in 1996. Evergreen Pet Cemetery, site of as many as 800 graves packed onto one-third of an acre, closed in 1995 after Mrs. White's death. More from the Washington Times.

5 comments:

Tim Chaney said...

Dang I bet they never saw Stephen King's "Pet Cemetery."

I have the ashes of my last dog Pebbles (Rott-Lab). I went to the old Feldman's and found a nice blue glass era Ball jar with the glass top and metal lock down and made it an Urn.

Anonymous said...

A dear friend found me a special container at an estate sale for my huskie's remains. Now if I move she can go with me unlike the cat I left behind at my last home.

Anonymous said...

Now I have the plot for my next novel. The Hanover Rabbies Hotel.

Anonymous said...

It's a little heartless.

Adam said...

"I don't wanna be buried
in a pet cemetary..."