Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Before You Remove Any Trees, Contact Your Insurance Company

I have received reports of trees falling down in the Camden Road area, Riverside Drive and over by the Hospital.

Before you hire a company to come out and remove these trees, CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY FIRST. Ask them what you need to do, according to their guidelines. The reason I say this is, I had a friend who had a tree fall onto their home and they had it removed right away. They then called their Insurance Company to put in a claim and because they had already removed it, the Insurance Company would not pay the removal fee to take it down or take it away.

Some policies may vary but be sure to contact them first and take lots of pictures.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had this happen to me. I had power lines down on my fence. In order to get the lines put back, we had to remove the limbs. Luckily we took pictures before this occurred of all the damage. If you need to remove the trees, take pictures. It's evidence if you have to take your insurance company to court. Take two shots of each to make sure you have all of the pictures. One picture that is missing could cost you. Once we showed up with the pictures the insurance company had to pay. Be careful of scam artists. If you remove the tree yourself you are entitled to be reimbursed for your time.

saponariae said...

we saw a flipped porta-pottie on riverside drive. just one more spill, eh?

MelissaW said...

Having had worked for an insurance company in the past, I can say that it is your duty as a policyholder to protect your belongings from further damage once the initial damage has occurred.

So, if a tree falls on your roof & busts a hole in it, you should remove the tree (or at least part of it) so that you can cover up the hole to your best ability to prevent further damage (ex water) to the belongings in the house.

Pictures are a MUST! Receipts are a MUST! The "right" insurance company/agent will be there to help you when you need it most. Sadly though, there aren't many like that around these days.

Anonymous said...

I have a tree company if anyone needs trees removed, call kc's tree service 4437838431

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ Melissa. Anytime I've needed my insurance agent Ed Wilgus's company was there. Never once have I ever had to argue and fight with them to resolve a claim. I've been with them over 30years and have no intention of leaving.