Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 02, 2009

Coming Soon - Code Violations For All

This just in from Salisbury's own Crossroads Chronicle. You know, that waste of taxpayers dollars printed and mailed out quarterly. I guess the Larson's left town, no mention of them this quarter.

Not that I don't agree all businesses and houses should have numbers on them, but are they really going to send Dan Hogg out to look for addresses? Are there no other code violations of greater significance than this? Is the city this desparate for money? I'd like to suggest a good place to start, Rt 13 north to south, you won't find many businesses in compliance. Another good place to start looking for compliance issues would be all rental properties. Start fining the slumlords and this will soon come to an end. Quit nitpicking the taxpaying citizens to death.

Some of us may not realize the importance of street numbers. Street
numbers are important because they serve different functions. The most important
function is that they identify your building so emergency services
(ambulance, fire and police) can find you in case of an emergency. If a building
does not have visible street numbers, it can cause considerable delay in the response
of emergency services, ultimately wasting time on what could be a life or
death situation. Some people may not know that it is actually a code violation not to have street numbers on your home or building and that failure to do so can carry a
fine. Section 15.24.690 of the City of Salisbury Property Maintenance Code requires
street numbers to be installed and displayed in a position easily observed and
readable from the public right-of-way. All numbers shall be in Arabic numerals at
least three inches high and one-half stroke. This includes residential and commercial
properties. A few other reasons why they are important: it helps the postal service find your house to deliver mail; City services; and visitors trying to locate your home. Right now, while you have no emergency, do yourself a favor – go outside and look at your street numbers. Can they be clearly seen? Make sure they meet the code requirement. We thank you in advance.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a public safety responder, I think this is an issue that is long over due. I have responded to many calls where the whole street does not have numbers. The people are waiting for your help and you can't find them. Other cities have a form to mail them and ask them to put it on after you have responded on noticed for some reason. It really helps to have reflective numbers so the emergency personell can find you at night. So, please everyone spend the 5 dollars it could save your life.

FootNote. I think if it is a rental, that should be part of the inspection or they do not get the license for the property.

EarlsSister said...

I couldn't agree more. I think every place should have the address where it can be seen easily from the street.

As far as rentals go, are they inspected annually before reissuing a license?

Anonymous said...

Commercial buildings should have Numerics that are at least 6 inches on the building with contrasting background. If that is not in the code then it should be.

Anonymous said...

Big brother at work. If I need help and you can't find me, I guess that would be my problem, not yours. It just seems that government wants to be involved in everyones lives from the womb to the tomb. I'll accept responsibility for my own safety thank you.

Anonymous said...

it helps you get your pizza

Anonymous said...

We own several rental properties in Salisbury, That are not in slum neighborhoods, and we are fined even when the tenant puts a piece of furniture out (that they are taking to the dump) Dan Hogg is out there immediately with letters in hand.

Anonymous said...

EarlsSister: I bet if you or one of your loved ones were in a building and needed emergency services and they couldn't find it due to no house #'s, you would then understand the need for this law.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Dan Hogg is doing his job!

EarlsSister said...

Anon 6:05 if you had read the comments you would see that I completely agree with this law. There is nothing more aggravating than not knowing an area and looking for a business or residence when there are no numbers posted anywhere in sight.

The question I asked had nothing to do with the law. I wanted to know if rental properties were inspected annually by Code and Compliance before reissuing a license to the landlords.

Wymzie said...

In Pocomoke they task investigating everyone's address numbers off on the police officers on duty (even though we have code compliance officer).
One morning as I was making my bed I looked out the window and saw a cruiser out in front of my house and the officer was looking at my house and writing something down.
So, I called the PD and asked if there was something I needed to know.
They said that the officer was cruising the street making sure everyone's house numbers were visible.
I told the dispatcher I had #'s that were the 3 in. Arabic 1/2 turn as required and they said that there shouldn't be a problem.
The next day I get a letter telling me that I was not in compliance with the code as my numbers were not visible from the street.

I got out a paint brush and some black paint and went out front and painted 10" #'s on the front of my house.
I haven't heard a word since.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
We own several rental properties in Salisbury, That are not in slum neighborhoods, and we are fined even when the tenant puts a piece of furniture out (that they are taking to the dump) Dan Hogg is out there immediately with letters in hand.

5:56 PM

Good work Dan Hogg. Now if everyone in NSCC would do their job. Get those damn Bubba fo Mare signs down.

Anonymous said...

funny they want you to post them in Arabic instead of English, maybe that's why it's so hard for them to read em' from the street. LOL