Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 15, 2008

The Main Street Gym Fundraiser









While the final numbers aren't in just yet, my guess is that we raised more than $10,000.00 for the Main Street Gym. Stacy Sakai, (the Host) went all out and busted their tails putting together one of the most enjoyable events like this that I have ever personally been to.

Of course, when you get great people who care as much about this community like the ones seen above, a great time is inevitable. The Main Street Gym is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and will hopefully swing their doors in the very near future.

I was privileged enough to be the first speaker of many in which I presented Fernando Guerrero with an autographed photo from "Smokin Joe Frazier" made out to Fernando Guerrero. He will be watching Showtime to see if this kid is everything I said he was.

WMDT presented a special tribute to Fernando and Hal which was very well done and very touching. I wish I had a pen at the time so I could have written down all of the people Hal Chernoff thanked because there are a lot of people that deserve special recognition for making this Gym a reality. I'll ask Hal to send me that information because he can spit it out without even thinking twice about it or hesitating at all.

So once again, thank you Stacy Sakai for putting this very special event together and a bigger thanks goes out to ALL of you that attended and or showed support Saturday night.

UPDATE: The Sakai Family were the ones who Hosted this event. Katherine Amenta and Stacy Sakai worked their tails off to get it done.

Oh, yes, that is my Wife/Bride Jennifer in the last photo.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! Is it possible Salisbury will actually support this operation?

Anonymous said...

Speaking of being dressed, you do have something besides jeans, don't you??? And a tie, no less. WOW - you clean up pretty good. Now if you only had a razor. LOL

Anonymous said...

The citizens of Salisbury haven't had much to be proud of in the last 10 years.

Then Fernando breaks on through, I think Salisbury is going to go bazerk. YeeHaw

Anonymous said...

I think people came for the beautiful "hot modifier" WMDT women.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some gorgeous brunettes!!!

Anonymous said...

Joe, Your wife is absolutely breathtaking. (I am not a stalker, just female admirer.(sp?)
I am glad Salisbury can have someone to talk about in a positive sense. About time!

Mardela said...

I'm glad the citizens were there for support, but where was the MARE and the city/county counsel? This young man is going to put Salisbury on the map. MAybe they are hiding because now that Salisbury will be highlighted, all the problems will be highlighted too!

Anonymous said...

"I am glad Salisbury can have someone to talk about in a positive sense. About time!" - They are all around us if you would open your eyes. The people of Salisbury are giving, friendly and caring. I think your attitude has been poisoned.

Anonymous said...

Joe... Who is the lady in the silver top... She dosent look like one of the WMDT girls.. Am I wrong?

Anonymous said...

First Mike Lewis was elected sheriff now this. Things are moving in the right direction for Salisbury / Wicomico County.

Anonymous said...

Mardela, the county council was represented. That is John Cannon, council President in those photos. Don't expect the mayor to promote anything she can't make money off of. This kid and Hal Chernoff aren't going to be giving Barrie a cut of anything.

Tim Chaney said...

Something like this may help the Civic Center out of the hole and may no longer be a burden to taxpayers. We can get some more of that free money ROFLMFAO

Bring World Class Tennis to the Civic Center like we had over 25 years ago. The place didn't serve alcohol back then and it didn't stop people from attending.

Anonymous said...

Tim, that is a good point about Tennis and Alcohol. Who was the leadership at the Civic Center 25 years ago when we had Professional Tennis? My guess is that it wasn't MackDaddie. I don't think he has done anything right during his entire career with the county.

Tim Chaney said...

I'm not positive who was running things way back then. Mr. Chevralier knows I would bet, or would find out.

Bill Riorden (I know that's not spelled right, can you believe they don't have spell check for names?) Anyway, The YMCA has their tennis courts named as a memorial to him. He was also Jimmy Conners' manager for a while.

I was a ballboy in 1974, I signed up just to get out of school and wound up on the tennis team at school the next year.

I still have the Civic Center 1974 Event Program and have a lot of autographs. Stan Smith was #1 that year, Jimmy Conners rookie year, Harold Soloman, Ili Nastasi can't think of all of them off hand.