Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Back In The Day!


Yesterday I was standing on the grounds where the Mayor was going to hold her Press Conference when I looked down and saw something that brought back memories for me and I'm sure for many of you.

HOWEVER, don't be so quick to think everyone knows what this is! While standing there with Tom Stevenson and a few of us other older guys, (I don't have gray hair like those old guys do though) we knew what it was but Katherine Amenta, (WMDT) and Laura D'Alessandro, (the Daily Times) were CLUELESS! They said, what's that? When we told them they were like, UH UHhhHH!

I'll never forget telling my kids years ago that I was going to buy them a phone with a cord on it, you know, the ones you plug into the wall and doesn't require a power cord to charge the phone. They said, where's the plug? I said, that's the whole point. Your Dingbat Mother keeps forgetting to charge the phone, this one doesn't have to be plugged in. How does it work then? It was at that moment I realized they had no clue what I was talking about. Heck, for all I know there may be a few thousand readers reading this post going, what the hell is that Idiot talking about, there's no phone out there without a power cord! LOL!

This is why we so desperately need Museums! I can't believe I'm saying this!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can even remember having to carry a can opener to open soda and beer cans!!Those were the days!!!! When an RC cola was tops!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Joe,
That is a classic, I remember using them as rings when I was a little girl! LOL, Telling my age!

Anonymous said...

We use to use them as trolling lures for rock,blues,and whatever.Lasted longer than bucktails. Hardhead

Anonymous said...

We used to make necklaces out of them.

Anonymous said...

"This is why we so desperately need Museums! I can't believe I'm saying this!"

Two words Joe. Government Schools.

Sand Box John

Anonymous said...

We made a curtain of sorts for our van with those tab tops. It was like a room divider. Then we made window curtains for the side windows on the van. It was the coolest thing on wheels, back then.

I still have what was known as "church keys" aka can openers. The ones I have came from a beer distributor, BALLANTINE beer. LOL

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Ok, off to dye my hair now.

Anonymous said...

If you break off the end and wedge it into the little gap on the ring, you can fling these like high-powered tiny frisbees. A great weapon to attack the kid brother with!

FF

Anonymous said...

p.b.r. those were the days.

Anonymous said...

I even remember when you had to use the edge of the kitchen drawer to pop the cap off your Pepsi when you couldn't find the church key! Or you used the handle if it was the right style, and left a groove in the drawer front that got you a (gasp!) spanking. And we didn't think it was child abuse; we knew we deserved it!

Anonymous said...

My kitchen drawer still has the marks on it from using it as a bottle opener. Some memories we just can't let go of.

Anonymous said...

The deal that rang my bell was when I was trying to teach a kid how to dial a phone with the rotary dial. They had no idea how to use a phone. Oh, well, such is life.

Anonymous said...

I have a whole shit load of those in my back yard. (intact)
Countrygirl

Jim said...

Anyone remember the epesode of Emergency (I believe this was the show) where a man almost choked to death because he had put that pop top in is beer can after opening it? Last time I found a case of beer with those topes was when I was on spring break in Fla in 1986. Surprised you found one... wonder where it came from? Or shows that area isnt picked up!!

JIM