Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Comment Worth Posting


"In a large scale incident like this you will see stations called in different stages. This particular fire was at seven alarms when I last heard. Can you imagine if all the equipment needed showed up at the same time ? The Chief had a staging area away from the scene and called the help in as needed.

Todays fire wasn't the largest I ever went to, but it did have the most companies by far. From Talbot County to Wicomico and then some. There were guys from DCFD and PGFD helping out. The spirit of the fire service was alive and well today. All those units worked together and you never heard a cross word. Everyone did their best to help Cambridge in their time of need.

I didn't hear of anyone getting hurt and alot of property was saved. Its very hard to get help in the daytime for alarms and todays turnout was massive. Chief Hurley did a great job and everyone worked together."

Respectful, honest & fair, thank you. I will add, when I spoke with Chief Hurley he stated that it was a 6 alarm fire. He went on to explain a 7 alarm fire was, (I believe he said) a Special Operations Fire. I could have that right or it was something close to that. He was a very nice man who was very willing to speak to the Press there.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Joe I really hate to post this but there was injury today. A firefighter had a massive heart attack on scene today and the prognosis is not good. Along with that there was a few with smoke inhalation and one with a sprained ankle. Sad to hear that about the man with the heart attack, not sure about his age but I do know where he is from but I dont want to post that at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this happened. I dont think it was well known on the fireground.

Anonymous said...

What negativity do you have to say about the fire service now? If it weren't for these boys and their aggressive tactics to control the hellish blaze, half of my historic city would be ashes. I am truly thankful and deeply gracious to those who helped with battling the inferno. I am so surprised the fire didn't leap from one building to the next as close as they are in proximity to each other. I am also surprised and relieved that more firefighters were not injured during the chaos. That is truly amazing considering the circumstances and risks they encountered. I am sorry for the loss of the precious antique shops (they had some neat things in there)and those in the apartments. The Cambridge Main Street Association in conjunction with Dorchester Tourism were working extensively to revitalize the sad and dangerous downtown, and it was actually working. We have quaint shops of all kinds, boutiques,art galleries, summertime block parties like the Taste of Cambridge and more--such a devastating blow to the effort. If I know Cambridge and Dorchester County like I think I do, I've lived here my whole life, our communities will come together to overcome this tragedy--wait to be amazed!

Anonymous said...

Was very impressed with the Chief there compared to See and Gordy.

Anonymous said...

on the fireground there is so much going on it is hard to know right then and there. as a firefighter my thoughts and prayers go out to than man and his family. and my condolences to the property owners.

Anonymous said...

i passed you're crazy a$$ on 50 driving to this in your beat up red chevy. i was going 65 in a 55 zone and you were pulling away quick..i'm willing to admit i was speeding but will you? and to get to a fire that you apparently only go to if you're in the area..i smell a nosey squirrel!!

joe albero said...

"i passed you're crazy a$$ on 50 driving to this in your beat up red chevy. i was going 65 in a 55 zone and you were pulling away quick..i'm willing to admit i was speeding but will you?"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

YOU passed mME on Rt. 50 doing 65 mph, yet I was speeding???????

I'll have you know, my Chevy has a 6 cylinder in it, NOT a V-8. Secondly, I had my cruise control on the entire way, I was NOT exceeding the speed limit, YOU were. You just earned the Dee, Dee, Deeee of the Day Award! Idiot!

Anonymous said...

you're the idiot..you pulled away when i was going 65 after i passed you..why don't you read it again? you don't have to admit it i didn't expect you to but most intelligent people will believe me.

Anonymous said...

What's the point of you going "all the way" to Cambridge anyway Joe? I mean, you had to travel "all the way" from Delaware. Just to take pictures. Oh that's right, you're part of the press corps. Sorry I almost forgot.