Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Friend Sent This To Me This Morning

I just want to remind all my friends that today is Veterans Day,a special day set aside to honor those who have served their country in wartime and in peace throughout the years in all branches of the military.
Veterans Day began in 1918 as Armistice Day,celebrating the end of World War I-a war in which my paternal grandfather fought as a young man.It has become a paid day off to some people-but I implore you to never forget the true meaning of the day.
I plan on calling my father tomorrow to not only tell him I love him-but to also thank him for his service-he is a Vietnam Veteran(Army 25th Inf.) and although he was drafted at the age of 19,he has never regretted serving his country,and today is still proud of it.Alot of men never made it back during that war as with other wars,and we must never forget them-and we must also let those who did survive know that we are grateful for their sacrifice.
I personally am against the current conflict in Iraq,nevertheless I respect and appreciate our servicemen and women who are separated from their families and everything they love to serve their country proudly.I urge all of you reading this to take a moment of your time today and reflect on what this day means....and if you know someone who has served,in war or peacetime,thank them and let them know that they deserve this day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks JOE and well said.From a Navy veteran from the mid-fifties era.. Hardhead

Bunker Britches said...

Just a note for everyone reading this. Golden Corral is offering free meals to all veterans tomorrow, November 12th in honor of their service to this country. Active duty, retired, just served.

Anonymous said...

What are they trying to do, kill them off?