Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Mounted Police Update


This evening before the City Council Work Session I asked Pam, (the City's Finance Director) what was up with these two horses and she replied, "Nothing has been decided yet."

I then said, it's my understanding there are 4 horses total. Are there going to be 2 or 4 horses going up for Auction? She replied, the City does have 4 horses and they are trying to decide exactly what's going to happen to all 4 horses.

I then said, well are there going to be 4 horses going up for Auction then? She replied, we are trying to decide what we're going to do with all 4 animals.

I then said, I don't want to sound like a pain here Pam but I heard two of these horses are supposed to go back to their original owners? She replied, there are 4 horses we're trying to make decisions on and we have yet to make any decisions and there is no Auction date set as of yet. Sound familiar?

All of this follows a two week wait for answers towards these animals in which the Mayor assured me someone would get right back with me on an answer and once again there are no answers.

What I will say is, I was there, I spoke with Pam personally and it is my impression there will now be 4 horses going up for Auction. The Mayor despises these animals so badly that I'm sure she's going to do everything in her powers to make sure none of us are aware of their decision. That being said I am calling out to Debbie Campbell to please take this serious matter into her hands and get these answers for us? I have multiple letters from so many of these wonderful people who have had hands on experience with these horses and they are almost begging for answers.

3 comments:

sparkly1 said...

What a pity! The horses really do wonders for building a relationship between the citizens and the police department. The mayor will eventually destroy anything that Salisbury has to be proud of.

Unknown said...

May I say something, I am a british police officer. Mounted officers are invaluable when there is a need to cross areas like parks and fields where vehicles cannot go. Here we use for public order situations as well. They offer a good platform to see over heads and are excellent when you need to be seen. They are great for public relations as well. Keep up the fight. I would have thought that this was an American tradition in policing, the mounted search party. Especially when looking for lost kids in big open areas. love granny

Unknown said...

PS nearly for got, what happens when the gas runs out, the powers down and the roads inpassable. THE HORSE (POWER)
Plus ecologically friendly - low emmissions! except!!!!! money saving!!!!
Sorry love Granny