Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 11, 2006

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Please click on the picture to enlarge for a better view.
Look, I don't want people going off on me thinking I'm on the attack against handicapped people, because I'm not.

However, a brand new $70,000.00 Duly Truck with Handicapped Tags? Do you think this guy just can't fit into a normal parking spot and needs the open space of a closer and wider place to park their vehicle?

I can see a wheelchair lift vehicle. I can see a seriously injured person needing the use of such a tag but a Duly tells a whole different story.

Sorry folks but this is abusing the system. Why do I get the feeling this post will be like Jay Lenno making a crack about cats and getting a million letters stating he's such a bad person? Let's see how this one turns out?

6 comments:

swampcritter2 said...

If you want to carry things to the other extreme, my grandfather would purposely park in the handicap spaces. He felt that nobody and absolutely nobody should recieve any special considerations. Of course he was routinely ticketed. He would then mail the citation to the legislators who voted to accomodate handicapped folks. He met a lot of new people this way, but not many friends.

joe albero said...

Great point ravenwolf. I have to agree with you there. All too many times I have seen larger people, (not huge) taking advantage of these carts. I know I grew up in a generation that would be far too proud to even think of using one of those things. Then I see them hop up out of the cart and get around as if they had no problems whatsoever. Now show me a man or woman with an oxygen bottle, older and more frail and those are the people who would've taken care of in such a way. Instead, these people are too proud and they walk the store instead. I've even watched younger, (in their teens) fat girls riding in these carts because no one will say anything to them. Anyhow, great point!

joe albero said...

anonymous poster said.....

"Regarding the truck, I don't think it is such a stretch to imagine that the person has a valid use for the dually."

Might I add the height of this vehicle and the effort it takes just to get in and out? If they can't handle a stress test, they shouldn't be climbing Mt. Everest!

The Bass Player's Wife said...

Wow. I hope you guys are being facetious. I have several family members with MG. This is an autoimmune disorder which causes muscle fatigue. Sometimes the difference between 50 and 200 feet to the door can make or break their days. Do they look "sick"-- absolutely not. But I can assure you, they are. I could list any number of conditions which could indicate a handicapped sticker, any of which can and do strike young, healthy-looking people.

Rest assured, the bureaocracy that is the PRof Md has created plenty of hoops through which people must jump-- especially to get a perm. plate.

Anonymous said...

GANG, GANG,
the problem with the picture is the red stop light on top of the cab is not working!!!!
That's all, handicapped or not you still have the right to own and drive whatever you damn well please. Joe you have a Beamer and a Hummer!!!! If you were handicapped but could still drive them would you?

Unknown said...

74000 DOLLARS? I DON'T ITS WORTH 25,000.