Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 11, 2006

A Humane Society In A Very Inhumane Society






www.wicomicohumane.org at 410-749-7603

After my post this morning mentioning the Humane Society I thought and felt I could really make a difference by using this Blog Site to do some real good in Wicomico County.

So I took the ride from Delmar out to the Humane Society and met with Linda, Mike and the rest of the fantastic group of very special human beings working there and found out the following.

My numbers weren't far off at all when it comes to the amount of animals having to be euthanized this summer. The biggest volume has come from Cats. It turns out that during the summer months adoptions go way down yet rescues go way up. The controls how many animals they can keep or not and right now they are so loaded with animals they are truly desperate for good families to just come in a take a look around. I have to tell you all, it was so hard walking out of there without bringing one home, but it's possible.

I'm asking you to please go take a visit there. Bring them a load of newspapers or some got and cat food, they need it. The County provides a great chunk of money to support their efforts but it's nowhere near enough money and they need donations desperately, especially this time of year. There's a link above to their web site and there's also a number to call.

I am posting a few photos of some of the animals they have there right now and trust me, please, there wasn't a single one in the entire place I wouldn't adopt! Jennifer and I have 14 dogs, 3 cats and 2 horses, we're loaded up with animals and I think those numbers will tell you how much we give back.

1) Proof that there is good use for the Daily Times after all.

2) The second photo above is Mariah. She's in kennel C-3 and she's a white huskey mix. Her eyes will make you melt!

3) Kennel C-1 is a 9 year old shepherd named Salina. Now folks, she's 9 years old. Someone can give this old gal some lovin, can't you?

4) Kennel D-5 is one of the most adorable lab mixes I've ever seen. She's a 5 month old female and she is just a baby.

5) My brother used to have two dogs exactly like this female lab mix and they were just the coolest dogs ever! She needs a home folks!

My next post will show photos of cats. I am going to dedicate one day a week for the Humane Society in the hopes that some of you will open your homes and hearts for these little fellas. You've read the stories about Jennifer and I traveling half way across the Country to purchase foals and rescue them. This required a $40,000.00 truck, a $5,000.00 trailer and $150.00 a day in Mares Milk Formula alone every day. It was the best money I have ever spent and I'll never look back! If you'd like that same feeling, go to their web site, call them or simply drop in any by all means, PLEASE send me a picture showing you have adopted or volunteered your time and we'll make sure it's posted. I mean this folks, thanks!

1 comment:

Myndful said...

Was Biggie still there? If so, how did he look?