Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 13, 2018

US steel industry booming after Trump's tariffs

U.S. steel mills have seen almost a 5 percent jump in shipments so far this year, a sign that it's benefiting from stiff 25 percent tariffs on imports the Trump administration imposed last year.

The American Iron and Steel Institute reported Monday that U.S. mills shipped 8.1 million tons in October, up 4.6 percent from the previous month and up 6 percent from the same period last year. So far this year, the industry has shipped 79.6 million net tons, 4.6 percent more than it had by this point last year.

AISI spokesman Jake Murphy told the Washington Examiner that domestic steel use has increased 1.4 percent so far in 2018, and that "Section 232 has played a crucial role as well," referring to section of trade law used by the Trump administration to justify the tariffs.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that will cause the steel unions to endorse President Trump!?

Anonymous said...

Great !!! Keep American jobs in American

Anonymous said...

I hope so, I'm tired of unions being a rubber stamp for the democrats. Been a union member over 40 years but always voted with my conscious, not my union card. I even changed my party registration to republican in 2016 just so I could vote for Donald Trump in the primaries to beat his 16 politician opponents. Americans have not had a true labor friendly president in my whole working career.