New York congressional candidate and Democratic socialist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Friday went after reporters criticizing her decision to ban reporters from her town halls.
Ocasio-Cortez held a series of town halls last week in which members of the press were banned, which led to criticism from reporters including the Washington Post’s Seung Min Kim. Kim said on Twitter that Ocasio-Cortez would need to get used to press scrutiny because members of Congress deal with the press regularly, but the candidate said reporters would stop people from feeling "safe."
"Our community is 50% immigrant. Folks are victims of DV, trafficking, + have personal medical issues," Ocasio-Cortez told Kim. "This town hall was designed for residents to feel safe discussing sensitive issues in a threatening political time."