Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, May 11, 2018

A home completely controlled by Alexa..

Amazon wants to show you how much you can rely on its Alexa voice assistant to control everything in your home, from thermostats to TVs.

The company announced Wednesday it's partnering with home builder Lennar to create "Amazon Experience Centers" — model homes containing built-in Alexa-controlled appliances — in hopes of persuading home owners and home buyers to embed Amazon services into their houses.

Lennar is outfitting model homes with TVs connected to Amazon's Fire TV system, buttons that can reorder goods from Amazon, and Alexa-enabled products that allow customers to control the lights, TV, shades and other appliances with their voices. Customers can tour the homes in cities around the U.S. to get an idea of how they work.

Apple has taken a similar approach. It has already teamed with home builders to create model new homes with HomeKit-ready products that can be controlled from an iPhone or iPad with Apple's Siri assistant. Brookfield Residential is one such home builder.

For Amazon, it's another example of how badly it wants to be in your home. Doing so lets it collect valuable data on how you purchase goods...

More here

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no interest in the technology.
I don't trust that this technology will be private or will guard my privacy.

Anonymous said...

Genesis is SKYNET.
SKYNET is Genesis.

The singularity is near, but I still have my landline!!!

(snicker snicker)

Anonymous said...

If she's not paying me rent, I don't want her in my house.

Anonymous said...

When EVER they say it will do. You can bet your bottom dollar it won't be for our best interest. I've got this thing. I've noticed it comes on by itself. So I usually just unplug it for a couple of weeks. No way in HELL will I allow it to run my life. Talk about LAZY people.

Anonymous said...

Told my kids the same thing! 🤣

Anonymous said...

Hmm let’s see. I have one installed in the home of my 88 year old parent who lives alone. It turns the lights on and off for her, controls the thermostat and lets me know when she leaves and re-enters the house using third party apps that are Alexa compatible. If she’s incapacitated or falls, she can call me or 911 by simply talking to the device. You don’t have to let something run your life for it to be of benefit.
So, you can be “lazy”...or you can be afraid.
PS....don’t know I’d you heard, but it turns out the Earth isn’t flat after all.

Anonymous said...

Alexa would be more popular if she was placed inside a "Real Doll".

Anonymous said...

1984 is here. Now. beware of wolflves in sheeps clothing..again

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Anonymous said...

4:31 What time do y'all start passing the rattlesnakes around the prayer room?