Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 06, 2017

The Racist Teacher Dialog Continues...

Dear XXXX,

This is email is coming a little late, because I did not see my daughters English assignment until last Thursday night. I went to the school on Friday, to talk with someone about my concerns, but, no one was available, so I was told to email you. She was given an assignment last week which has a set of questions on it that in “my opinion”, are completely inappropriate, and irrelevant to her education. When several of the students objected to answering them they were told they had to answer, or the questions would be marked wrong.

This is a dual enrollment class; these are some of your highest honor students, which means, they are smart enough to know these questions are inflammatory, but they also don’t want their grades affected. They are High School students, not adults, and while I realize they are taking a “college” class, I know that you as the teacher could have used your discretion as to whether or not to include these “opinion” questions! I don’t feel at 15 and 16 they have the maturity to form such opinions, much less the ability to express them without the risk of angering their fellow students, or you. Which I know was a concern. Perhaps, you could explain to me what the questions have to do with English? I would also like to see the actually text book with the original assignment, if you don’t mind please give me the name of the book.

My husband and I gave Megan permission not to answer the questions, and I trust it will not affect her grade.

I look forward to hearing from you about this. I am more than willing to meet with either or both of you in person. Thank you.

The Reply

Good afternoon, Mrs. XXXX.

The assignment to which you are referring was an analysis of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech. I'm sure you are aware of the context of the speech and its value as a piece of literature. I copied this assignment from Readings for Writers, 9th edition, pages 18-23. I adjusted one question because it asked the students if they thought that the United States would ever have a black president and to defend their answer, and that question is obsolete.

The students were instructed to read and annotate the speech and answer 15 questions, which are divided into 3 types of questions. The first section is called "The Facts." These 5 questions ask the students to look at the literature for what is actually stated in the work and are probably the easiest to answer. The second section is called "The Strategies." These 5 questions ask the students to take a more in-depth look at the writing to analyze not just what is said, but how it is said and what effect is produced. The third section is called "The Issues." In this section, the students are asked 5 questions that address the context of the literature. These questions are designed to spark discussion and maybe even debate in class. You are right in that the students in my advanced level English classes are very bright, and with that, I believe that they are capable of expressing themselves and their opinions.

Because the context of this speech is 1960s America and the Civil Rights Movement, "The Issues" questions revolve around race relations. That was the reality of the time. I am aware that the issue of race relations in our country is once again a topic of discussion, and it is one that, unfortunately, makes many people uncomfortable. However, being uncomfortable with questions doesn't exempt a student from the required activity. I push my students out of their comfort zones on purpose. Many of my students are uncomfortable with public speaking, but they are not exempt from presentations. I teach or refer to the "I Have A Dream" speech in some way every year, not just because of its context, but because of its literary contributions; it is full of rhetorical devices. Understanding this, however, to study a work without studying its context is to not really study the work. Contrary to the optics, the teaching of this speech and the current climate of society are coincidental, but I don't think it's bad.

To assert that the students in my classes are incapable of articulating their opinions is not accurate; they have no problem doing so. To assert that this assignment was in some way designed to anger my students or to evoke some feelings in myself about my students is also inaccurate. I did not write these questions, but I don't see anything wrong with them. We all hold stereotypes of not just black people but all groups of people. I hold them myself and will engage in the discussion. Just because we subconsciously have them, that doesn't mean that we let them guide our behavior or treatment of other people, but to pretend that they don't exist is a disservice. How can one refute what he won't acknowledge? Considering the current climate of our society, I think that conversations about race should be encouraged. A civil, respectful, monitored discourse about race among people of different races, which is vital to the improvement of race relations on any level, is the goal; it's not a set up for finger pointing and shaming as you imply. We've never met, but I assure you that order, discipline, and respect in my classroom are non-negotiable. I enjoy teaching all of my students, and I appreciate the diversity of experiences and opinions that they bring to my classroom.

English writing and literature are much more than words on paper. Words have power, and authors/speakers choose each one intentionally. I am teaching my students English concepts, but I'm also teaching my students to be critical readers and thinkers, to read the words and analyze it for the intent behind the words. I also want them to understand that their words also have power and that they are responsible for discovering why they may feel the way they feel about different issues, instead of blindly following the masses. Teachers who only teach their subject without application, I believe, fail to fulfill the real purpose of teaching.
I apologize for offending you and your student. That was never my intent. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Now let's get this straight, reply...

Thank you for responding to my email. The questions that I was referring to were not the ones that had to do with MLK’s speech. The assignment is not what I have an issue with, and I don’t think the students did either. My issues, and apparently several other parents’, are with the questions that you asked at the end of the assignment. (image at top of this article)

Why are they relevant? As you pointed out in your email, “We all hold stereotypes”, but I don’t believe it is acceptable for you to require these students to list them, or demand that they talk about them. They obviously, know that their words “have power”, which may be why some of them chose to be silent. “Most country music fans are Republicans”, that’s stereotyping is not? If expressing your stereotypes was tolerated in society then Hayley Geftman-Gold, after making that remark, would still have her job with CBS. And, do you think her expressing her “stereotype” led to peace and unity in our nation? No, all it did was lead to anger, and more hatred!

I realize this assignment is behind them now, but I want you to know that I strongly object to what you did. I am not offended, and neither was my daughter. I am however; angry and quite disturbed that you see nothing wrong with this, and feel it is productive to my students learning!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The all our war on whiteness continues, and it all starts in the schools. Scary to think what it's going to be like in 20, 30, 40 years.

Anonymous said...

Obama plant brainwashing.

Anonymous said...

Higher a good private detective to investigate her for 60 days. Social media, people she meets, locations and conversations she has in the community. No doubt it will reveal conduct unbecoming of a teacher. Send it to the school board, to all media and her.

Anonymous said...

LOL What a foolish little liar girl this so called teacher is. the only ones UNCOMFORTABLE speaking about race relations are blacks because they can't handle the truth. An honest discussion about race can't ever be had with them until they decide to become decent people and start valuing honesty. Of course they will deny because they are such an overwhelmingly dishonest race.


Anonymous said...

I take issue with any writer who condemns an entire race for the foolishness of the few. The rioters in Baltimore and elsewhere don't speak for me, nor does this teacher; nor do the likes of self-serving, self-appointed, so-called race saviors, or pushy know-nothing people in funny hats with loud voices but empty agendas.

Anonymous said...

The answer by this African American teacher proves one thing and one thing only. She has allowed herself to be reduced to nothing more then a tool. She has allowed herself to be devalued as a person which seems to be a major character flaw many many black females carry. Black females have very little self respect and dignity. If they aren't allowing themselves to be at the mercy sexually of thugs and making babies they allow themselves to be slaves of the agenda. So sad and pathetic how low they will allow themselves to sink.

Anonymous said...

Please tell us who this is. The evil doers need to be called out. She is a divisive hater and needs to be stopped so she can not poison more minds with her evilness. She is the spawn of the devil and people should know who she is to protect their children from the devil's helper.

Anonymous said...

She admits that the question about a black president was irrelevant.... so were all the rest!! They are equally as outdated and ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I am as conservative as they come. I don't see a problem with this assignment. To have a honest discussion about race first you have to discuss it. An assignment like this in a class will go a long way towards that goal. The only problem I see is that this is for an advanced class, to me it would work better as an assignment for a class of mixed intellects.

To those on here objecting to the assignment(as well as my comment) I am sorry for your intellectual inferiority and defects.

Anonymous said...

"Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid". Lol, obviously a fake comment from a liberal. Nice try though.

Anonymous said...

11:20 That "assignment" was nothing more than race baiting. Question #5 says it all. And I doubt you are a conservative.

Anonymous said...

12:13 Nope have voted for the more conservative candidate in every election since 1976(the first election I could vote in). Also in the primaries have voted for the conservative republican instead of idiots like McCain and Romney and Trump. I just don't believe in narrow minded thinking that liberals and fake conservatives partake of. Real conservatives aren't afraid of a discussion of any issue because we know our cause and our way of thinking are correct and just.

LOL all you want people like you and other commenters on here are why this country is failing.