Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 06, 2017

LEGENDARY COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 5-6-17



Sandwich Glass

Benjamin’s department store had two major fires throughout its history. The first was in the 1930’s and destroyed the entire store with the exception of the linen and glassware departments. The second was in 1974. My grandfather entered into an arrangement with Benjamin’s after the first fire that he bought the entire site and contents. He then rebuilt the store and sold it back to them. The Benjamin’s store was where the City Center is located now. Of course, he ended up with a lot of linens and a lot of glassware. I was grown before I knew they made towels in any color other than white. That was the downside. The upside was the many boxes of glassware he brought home. They all contained Duncan Miller sandwich glass. This was the original clear crystal glass with the very ornate sandwich pattern. Throughout the years, I have managed to save many pieces from the original stock and have added many more pieces.

Sandwich glass was started by the Duncan Miller Glass Company in 1924. They continued making the original quality until 1955. Throughout the years, two other companies have put out sandwich pattern glass, and it is hard to distinguish from the original. The Indiana Glass Company manufactured it from the late 1920’s until at least the 1980’s and may continue to this day. The Hocking Glass Company produced the clear crystal sandwich pattern in the 1940’s and 1950’s. The distinguishing feature is on any piece with a ring on the bottom. The original pieces will have a very flat ring whereas any other piece has a more rounded ring.

As with any collectible, you should get a good reference book and get to know what is out there. The original Duncan Miller glass has 138 different pieces listed. Some of them have added to my knowledge of glassware. A flower vase is not a flower vase, but an epergne. They list two different. Live and learn.

Because Benjamin’s sold it, there is a quantity of it around Salisbury and it can be fun to collect. It’s not very practical in this day and age, but it can be a beautiful addition to a corner cupboard or curio cabinet. Sandwich pattern glass is very decorative and, I think, Victorian looking. The adornments of a Victorian home have given way to the electronics of the 21st Century.

Because I drank from so many of the goblets when I was growing up, it is a reminder of my youth. We used the glasses but never used the plates or any of the other pieces. These were preserved in my mother’s and grandmother’s corner cabinets. Now they are preserved in boxes again, except for the few unusual pieces that adorn one shelf in one of my corner cabinets.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that one of the goblets on the upper left hand side of the picture? Do you know if it's the same as what some call Peanut Butter glasses? I buy these whenever I see them at antique shops and flea markets. We use them everyday. To me they are so much nicer than the things you buy new today.

George Chevallier said...

Yes, that is a stemmed goblet. I have never heard it referred to as associated with peanut butter.

LadyLibertarian said...

My grandmother had a china cabinet full of this, and my mother has a few pieces. I think it is so pretty, and even at a young age I knew it was "worth something." I always thought it was so sparkly and pretty. Thanks for explaining a little about the history of it, George! I always learn a little bit more about my hometown when I read your articles.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty darn interesting i must say

Anonymous said...

After doing a google search I don't think it is. The peanut butter glasses which are also goblets were filled with Big Top peanut butter and sold.

Anonymous said...

peanut butter glasses were straight sided glasses with applied label designs, flowers were the most popular, TV series and events of the day were also issued. They were usually plain straight glass no pattern.

Anonymous said...

Back in the 1950's a peanut butter company, either Skippy or Jif, sold its product in jars that resembled sandwich glass goblets. I think it was just pressed, hot molded glass, but many families used them for drinking glasses as money was a little tighter back in those days.

Anonymous said...

12:41 is correct If, as 2:59 says, peanut butter was sold in jars that "resembled sandwich glass goblets," you can rest assured that it wasn't real sandwich glass. The peanut butter company couldn't have afforded sandwich glass! I also don't think that they had any stem such as the goblet in George's photo. What a nice collection, George, and thanks for informing people about sandwich glass. (I'm a former antique dealer who dealt with glass among other things)

Anonymous said...

The Big Top peanut butter glasses are stemmed and cut glass. They were made by the Hazel Atlas glass company for the peanut butter company. Not only did they make the goblets for peanut butter but also sherbet glasses. Google "Big Top Peanut Butter Glasses" for pictures.

Anonymous said...

5:55, thanks for correcting me (4:23). I had never heard of Big Top or of peanut butter glasses being made with stems. I would think, though, that it would be pressed rather than cut glass. True cut glass is expensive, not to mention hazardous to your lips if the goblets were to be used for drinking. Anyway, interesting info.

Anonymous said...

Pressed glass

Anonymous said...

Interesting. George comes through again!

Anonymous said...

I used to be really good at throwing coins into carnival glass.Every fair,circus,carnival,etc had a booth set up.Bowls,glasses,etc that I won in the 50's and 60's was & is the most attractive and valuable.