Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, October 20, 2016

ANSWER to WHO AM I Quiz

I am Thurgood Marshall. Born in Baltimore, MD, in 1908 but most of you know me from my later career. I attended Howard Law because of segregation. In fact, I really wanted to go to University of Maryland's Law.

I did shakes things up a bit when, in 1936, I represented another black law school hopeful, Donald Gaines Murray, in a lawsuit against the University of Maryland and we won!

I went on to become very famous when I litigated that case you may remember, Brown v. Board of Education. I was also heavily involved in the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement. I was the executive director of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, which started before the 1950s. I later went on to become a Supreme Court Associate Justice, where I presided from 1967 (thanks to President Johnson) until 1991.

Many of the more Conservative Members of the Court accused me of Judicial Activism, which I fully admitted in some of my writings. While this is not a good thing, I still was the first Supreme Court Justice and sought to further the Black communities in America to obtain equality.

I died just two years later and was buried in Arlington Cemetery next to my second wife, Cecilia Suyat.

Always learn about History... and

Dare to be informed!

No comments: