Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

93% of Investors Lost Money in January

It wasn't just you. Virtually all investors lost money during the atrocious month of January.

Over 93% of investors were in the red last month, according to data shared exclusively with CNNMoney by Openfolio, an app that allows people to see how their investment portfolios stack up with others.

Deep fears about the crash in oil prices and turbulence in China took hold of the stock market in January. The Dow lost 5.5% of its value, the index's deepest monthly drop since the market freakout in August.

But the typical investor fared even worse, losing 6.3% of his or her portfolio in January, according to Openfolio.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not me.I transferred my entire portfolio into 6 plain old savings accounts in mid December.To my constituents that sounded foolish at the time,but I actually was tired of trading & decided to take a few months off.In no way did I predict the losses that I WOULD HAVE taken had I stayed in throughout Jan.I will either jump in on the mid Feb surge or wait until early March.I have 6 attractive penny stocks in mind.

Anonymous said...

401k is down 5200.00 since June.

lmclain said...

Cleaning out the middle class of accumulated wealth is a time honored tradition on Wall Street.
Keep cheering.