Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, December 08, 2014

More Jobs Created, But Not All Jobs are Equal

The economy may be creating more jobs; but not enough of the kinds of jobs that make ends meet. Here's a look at one Texas city where salaries are not keeping up.

WAXAHACHIE, Texas --
In Waxahachie, Texas, at her small roadside food stand, 47-year-old Kathy Jones told me she's been struggling for five years to raise herself above minimum wage.

Her high school education only got her fast food jobs. So now she works seven days a week at the food stand just to break even.

"Just doing the best I can right now to just let it stay afloat," she said. "Pretty much what I make, I put it right back out."

Restaurant owner Jonathan Evola pays his kitchen help up to $13 an hour, nearly twice the minimum wage in Texas but he can't keep pace with the cost of living, up 11 percent since 2008.

"My employees need more than what I'm even able to give them to pay their current bills," Evola said. "And I pay above average for what most of my industry people get paid."

"We are seeing a recovery, there are jobs out there," City Manager Paul Stevens told me.

More

No comments: