Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Harvesting Patient Records

Growing numbers of GPs are joining a rebellion against an NHS scheme to harvest millions of medical records.

Unless patients object, officials will start to extract confidential data from their files next month.

The information will be used to improve care and assist research work, health chiefs say. But some family doctors fear the data will be misused by insurers and businesses.

At least four GPs – with thousands of patients between them – are defying orders to hand over their patients’ records. Many more are known to share their concerns.

Gordon Gancz, who has a practice in Oxford, had been told by NHS officials his decision not to co-operate may cost him his job.

In an article in today’s Mail, he compares these ‘bullying’ tactics to those used by camp guards in Stalinist Russia.

‘What I am vehemently opposed to is that the medical records of every man, woman and child in the country will be passed on automatically,’ he says.

More

4 comments:

lmclain said...

You people cheered yourself hoarse electing these people, who promised (lol!) they would "protect you" and "look out for you", and "do what's best for you". And you lapped it up like sheep at a trough.
I hope some of you aren't laughing that much now.

Anonymous said...

2:59. Those Democrats who elected those Democrats are still laughing simply because they are too dumb to know any difference.

Anonymous said...

Patient records have been remotely extracted since the 1940's.

Anonymous said...

I have objected. This began with my personal physician wanting me to sign a release, which I did not do. Then I called medicare & told them I do not want my medical records shared. You can do that & I did it. Whether or not it's enough, I don't know. But, it's a start.
Oh, I also got another physician.