Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Judge Holds Self In Contempt For His Smartphone

IONIA, Mich. (AP) -- A Michigan judge whose smartphone disrupted a hearing in his own courtroom has held himself in contempt and paid $25 for the infraction.

Judge Raymond Voet has a posted policy at Ionia County 64A District Court stating that electronic devices causing a disturbance during court sessions will result in the owner being cited with contempt, the Sentinel-Standard of Ionia and MLive.com reported.

On Friday afternoon, during a prosecutor's closing argument as part of a jury trial, Voet's new smartphone began to emit sounds requesting phone voice commands. Voet said he thinks he bumped the phone, and the embarrassment likely left his face red.

More 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's leading by example!
The next time I break wind, I'm going to tithe more on Sunday for air pollution...

Anonymous said...

The person calling should also be charged. they knew it was court time.

Anonymous said...

Good for him! No one above the law!

Anonymous said...

11:47, How do you know who was calling? We all get calls from telemarketers, businesses, etc-- people who don't know the schedule of our day....

Anonymous said...

If it was a liberal poltically appointed idiot judge, go for it all the way and step down. Now that would be impressive and maybe start a trend. (I can dream)

Anonymous said...

11:47
I don't think anyone was calling. I think he bumped the phone and activated the voice dial feature. I do it on my phone all the time.

Anonymous said...

2:30 get a new phone.

Anonymous said...

2:42
My phone is only about a year old. Why would I need a new one and who are you to tell me what I need. Thanks but no thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like that you guys read GLP. :)

Anonymous said...

Lol